DjangoBooks.com

New to Gypsy Jazz

JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
I've been a fan of this style for quite sometime, and studying more traditional jazz has been a great deal of fun. I am expanding my horizons and bought a used Gitane DG-250M. I had originally orderd a D-500, but a mixup at the store meant me not receiving it. I had ordered a set of Argentine medium strings but I'm worried with the added scale on the petite bouche that there will be too much tension. What strings do you guys recommend?

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    I should add that my current instrument is an Eastman 7 string with a 25" scale and 12-52 flats.
  • You mean Argie 11s. The might sound better than the 10's on the 250. The additional down pressure might be good. Only way to know is to try both and see which you prefer.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    I figured that was going to be the best bet. Good thing is the strings are rather inexpensive.
    My guitar arrived today. After allowing a few hours to acclimate, I opened the case and found two cracks, one rather large on the top of the guitar. I will be returning it soon. Rather than buy from guitar center again, I'm going to save my money and buy new from Michael. Really bummed.
  • Sad tale that.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    Shame about the cracks - doesn't speak too well of your vendor that the 'mixup' just happened to involve them sending out dud stock.

Strings: you might like to consider a hybrid approach, using the top two strings from an 11 set and the lowest 4 from a 10 set. For what it's worth, I find that makes the transition from wound G to plain B string much smoother - on my guitar at any rate, having all 10s or all 11s meant having to take my foot off the gas quite sharply when going from B or E strings to G and lower.

Good luck!
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
    I bought used from Guitar Center, and luckily I have 30 days to return the instrument. I've already been in contact with the manager that sold me the instrument to get everything situated.

The case the guitar was shipped in was far too large for the instrument, and the guitar was wrapped in bubble wrap. There was no protection for the neck or headstock, and I suspect there was some force applied to the neck near the body that caused the large crack. Shame because it's a really lovely looking instrument.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @JSanta
    Sorry to hear about your bump in the Gypsy Jazz Guitar World.
    Must be a better Guitar ready to come to you.
    I ordered a Dupont MDC-50 from Guitar Center in Chicago that was not up to my expectations, and returned it in Corpus Christi my home town no questions asked. They are great about their 30 day return policy.
    Good Luck
    pick on
    pickitjohn :peace:
    It happens! There are a couple of models that I am interested in, and I am going to wait for one to come on the market. I'm not in a rush, and I will wait for the right opportunity.
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    I recommend buying from Michael if you can. He won't steer you wrong.