DjangoBooks.com

Jerry Garcia on Django

13»

Comments

• lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    John Jorgensen also plays some things using the two finger technique. As far as how it compares to Django, each person can judge for themselves.
    Of course, Django played everything that way - astounding is an understatement, in my opinion.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited February 2014 Posts: 476
    Garcia kinda nailed it.
    Christophe Lartilleux is the closest copiest physically that I'm aware of, but I think the real technique that makes Django so fantastic went on between the ears, and that's why nobody sounds like him without copying him directly. Getting that part worked out is more sci-fi, and won't be found in a manual.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Jeff I couldn't agree more. I've listened to all the modern greats, and while they do a great job of expanding on what django did, using his licks and creative ways, and improvising great solos playing those beautiful and funny looking Selmer maccaferi style guitars, none of them... and I mean none of them, truly capture the unique phrasing he created.

Or In other words, when you hear django, you KNOW it's django. With all due respect, when you hear most of the other modern greats, if you haven't heard the song, you may not immediately know who it is you're hearing. Unless it's django.

Anthony
    peterjaTeddy Dupont