DjangoBooks.com

ever feel lonely? plight of a gypsy player in a small city

2»

Comments

dapperdan7 wrote:
    buco i will be there in may (my folks are getting old so i visit more often) so lets play and get a beer! blues bop, how much did you spend going to samois? i really would love to go someday. got schooled by gonzalo and his group when they were in reno.he gave me a years worth of pointers. i would love to get alfonso out to the west coast but he is a very busy man.

Oh hey man, sorry I missed this post, I thought I'd be getting email updates on a replies. I was just browsing and caught this. If you haven't been to Chi yet email me (it's in my profile) and let's do it. I saw Alfonso recently at Old Town School plus 3 more jazz guitar teachers from school, all different styles. The whole night was amazing, I'll never forget it.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    Look me up if you're in SLC, UT...
    Anybody in Boise Idaho ?
  • ColleenColleen New
    Are you still in Reno? I am thinking of relocating, but gypsy jazz ranks high on my list of "must haves".
  • steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
    @Mundo I give a B+ to the Las Vegas Sun, points given for not using the "G" word.

The following words are intended to defend some Romani/Sinti and to share some information that I found.

When I wrote a cultural anthropology on the Romani/Sinti, I discovered that the term most often used to describe Django's style of jazz has a dark history. The word labeled, classified, and discriminated a group of people, whom lived, worked, and played contrary to the majority of population.
    From before the reign of King Louis XIV, whose policies included "gypsy [sic] hunting tags", to 2010, when a government removed a group of Romani/Sinti by forcing them outside of the boundaries of the nationalistic territory, Romani/Sinti have continued to face persecution. The "G" word has been given an image by some media and can be used to exploit and stereotype. While I agree that GJ brings romantic images to mind, its use has become obsolete.
    The long held belief that Romani originated from Egypt was overturned when cultural linguists and both biological and cultural anthropologists discovered that the Romani/Sinti originated from northern India. Therefore, the "G" label is no longer applicable.

I am always up for a good debate. @dennis through your interaction within the manouche community, has the topic ever been addressed?