DjangoBooks.com

Nylon Strings - Opinions Please.

SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
Is there anything stopping me putting nylon (classical) strings on my Manouche Guitars 'Moreno' Modele Jazz, just as a short term experiment? There should be no truss rod problems as the guitar hasn't got one! (it has the 'authentic' reinforced neck).

Will nylon strings actually work? How would I attach the strings to the tailpiece?

And, just out of interest, are there any major design differences in modern day Selmacs designed for 'classical' strings rather than metal?

Any comments, rants, lectures, essays, gratuitous personal abuse gratefully recieved.

All the best,

Sp
Tagged:

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited January 2014 Posts: 936
    Here is a good read from RELATED DISCUSSIONS

bottom right side of page.

"questions on using nylon strings"

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/2956

pick on

pickitjohn
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Thanks for that.

Sp
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Y W

the Related Discussions link is one of the New
    Features of the New Forum

"I Love it" and can get you to the bones of your question instantly.

Many questions have been ask before and you can get great advice and a laugh or two from members who haven't seen or had time to respond to your question.

After you make you post click on it again and see what comes up in Related Discussions….

Think you'll be pleasantly surprised and informed….

@MichaelHorowitz
    Thanks again another great feature

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • You may find that many brands of classic Nylon strings are not long enough to reach on a long scale tailpiece guitar and the tensions will be a bit low.

For an alternative Thomastic Classic S which is what I use on my classic built Dunn are the highest tension of the classic strings...check with JustStrings.com or other Thomastic dealer who should be able to tell you the overall length.

The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • I forgot to mention that classic s are a steel classic guitar string
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica