DjangoBooks.com

Various Types of Galli Strings

JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
Hi, just wondering if someone could fill me in on the different types of Galli strings that seem to be available. On Michael's page http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Category/gallo_strings there seem to be lots of types, and it's not 100% clear which are the "normal" ones people use. I'm not interested in experimenting per se, I just want the right thing for the job - ie I don't want to try them all.

What are the regular ones used for Gypsy Jazz? I've been told that they get a softer, duller sound than the Argies - like week old Argies, but right away - and that's a sound that I love...kind of like the low strings of an oud or something. I'm guessing that'd be the silk & steel ones (GSL?) Anyway, any advice much appreciated. Also, are they loop end? I like loop end...it's a vanity thing :)

Jon
Tagged:
vonadamn

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Jon,

For a long time the silk and steel VO27s were the only ones available that Gypsies used. Almost all the Dutch players used the VO27s, including Fapy, Stochelo, Jimmy, etc and many still do. All the other variations came later, with the GSLs being a coated silk and steel string (for longer string life) and the GSBs a silver plated copper style string which is similar to Argies.

M
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Ah, I see :) So how do the VO27s compare to the Silk and Steel ones tonally?
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    Hi Jon!

I've been wondering if the biggest reason for so many gypsies to favor V27 (silk&steel) is that those are the cheapest strings available for a gypsy guitar as far as I know.

I think the GSLs (coated silk&steel) are better compared to V27. To my ear the sound is a little brighter and a bit more sustainy. They also last longer but are a bit more expensive. If I remember right you were using Argentines 10s when we met at Samois so I would suggest you to try out GSL11s. The GSL10s might feel too loose with your playing style. I also like a lot the normal Galli GSBs and if I compare these to Argies they are stiffer (hex core vs round core), broken in type sound and somewhat fuller sounding than Argies but they don't last that long. Argies last much much longer than Gallis! I also feel that with Gallis you can get a bit more dynamics than with Argentines. It's just my opinion. Anyway I would recommend you to try GSB10s and GSL11s and choose between these two.

I haven't seen any loop end Gallies...
    Jon wrote: »
    Ah, I see :) So how do the VO27s compare to the Silk and Steel ones tonally?

@Jon the VO27s are silk and steel. They just don't have the protective coating so they don't last as long. Stochelo now endorses the GSLs which he's been using for years.

• I havent noticed any difference. Loops on my Dunn are harder to get set up ....but its a minor deal IMO. I use whichever.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Thanks guys. Maybe the GSL ones are the way to go. If GSBs are mimicking Argentines, then there doesn't seem to be much point changing, and I already go through Argies very quickly, so the VO27s don't sound like they'd last more than a few days. Thanks for your help everyone :)

Ps yeah, the loop end thing is entirely a vanity thing - I'm sure there's no difference, but they definitely look cooler...
  • Looking cool is fun .....
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Jon wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Maybe the GSL ones are the way to go. If GSBs are mimicking Argentines, then there doesn't seem to be much point changing, and I already go through Argies very quickly,

Actually, the GSBs last a lot longer than Argies as they are coatd and have a hex core, design features which greatly enhance string life. However, they do tend to be stiffer and not as bright.