DjangoBooks.com

RIP Jim Hall

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
in Welcome Posts: 557
I just heard this a few minutes ago, but Another great one has gone beyond. RIP Jim Hall!
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Now that's sad news. I have more Jim Hall recordings than any other jazz guitarist other than Django. he was the epitome of taste.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 1,252
    Wow.... that's a big loss.

A bit of him for you while you ponder it.

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 6,153
    So sad to hear this. I loved Hall's duets with Bill Evans and The Bridge with Sonny Rollins is one of the best jazz records of that era.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    indeed. my funny valentine (with bill) brings me to tears every time.

• JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Jim Hall is the single biggest influence on my guitar playing (not that you'd know it these days). I studied his playing almost exclusively for a ten year period while I was in and around university. The album Jim Hall Live from 1975 is one of the most underrated masterpieces in Jazz history.

He also had great respect for Django (He named his dog after him too), and when asked about him in an interview, the first thing he mentioned was Django's skill as an accompanist, demonstrating his understanding of the depth of musicianship that Django had aside from simple popular notions of his technical virtuosity. Jim Hall had that same skill to the same degree - a very rare thing indeed.

Jon
  • He had a wonderful innings here on earth
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Very sad indeed. What a loss.
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Jim Hall has always been a guitarist I consider to be just about perfect. One could argue that he could not play as fast as many other guitarists, but his style of playing and the way he played makes a complete package. When you listen to him play a piece, there is always a coherent thought from start to finish. I have never heard him play a solo where it sounded like he was rambling, or blindly searching for something.
    He created for himself a unique style and adopted influences from what he heard, always evolving as a player.

As many other do, I consider his work with duo Bill Evans to be his best, and there is also the "Concierto" album which is a monumental recording featuring Chet Baker and Paul Desmond!!! He also played duos with Michel Petrucciani, whose playing I admire a lot.

I was truly saddened to hear of his passing. Several of the great guitarists have passed away these last years. Joe Beck in 2008, and Herb Ellis in 2010 to mention a few.

Jim Hall the guitar player is just one aspect. He was also a brilliant composer. I really like his blues "Careful" which is based on diminished scale harmony:

And he wrote a super sweet tune, "Whistle Stop" dedicated to Gary Larson, the creator of "The Far Side":

The jazz guitar world has lost an innovator, musician, composer and guitarist of the highest order. But like Django, he has left a legacy of records for us to enjoy listening to and learning from.