DjangoBooks.com

Classical & Jazz

ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Repertoire Posts: 296
Any of you guys have some good transcriptions (or otherwise) of classical tunes played either in the "Gypsy" Jazz style or straight ahead Jazz style? I have a few transcriptions, and I'm really intrigued with the relationship between the two styles but since I'm not at all familiar with Classical music on a sophisticated level I'm wondering if anyone might even have some good recommendations for learning more?

For example: I have some transcriptions of Bireli's, Gonzalo's, Johnny Smith, etc. that lend themselves some classical influences, but I'd really like as many as I can get my hands on while delving into this style.
djazzy

Comments

• slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭
    Check out Soundslice. There are numerous classical pieces arranged for solo guitar. I recently learned the prelude to Bach's first solo cello piece. Most people have heard this one, it turns up in movies and commercials. Simple & fun to play using mostly rest strokes.
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    I don't have transcriptions but Boulou Ferre (of the Ferre Brothers) is very influenced by classical music and will sometimes break into fingerpicked classical sounding sections during his solos. I took a workshop from him and he talked about using classical music as a source of inspiration.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    check out Romane's Arc en Ciel. very cool classical style duet thingy
    djazzy
  • djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL
    edited May 2022 Posts: 60

This thread is a bit old but I thought I'd try reviving it since so called "classical music" and Jazz aren't easily integrated -- and when they are, the results usually aren't that great. (Friedrich Gulda and Jacques Loussier are just two exceptions.) The two idioms just require very different skills & orientations. But I sense progress on this front. It seems to me that more younger musicians with CM training are performing in Jazz (as well as in Bluegrass, Old Time, pop, and more.) Unfortunately, not so much with plectrum guitarists since I imagine we don't yet have a spot in the Conservatories.

Anyway.

There are a number of videos to check out on Youtube… but this Prelude # 2 in Cm by Filippo Dall'Asta is pretty great.

Also, Jayson Anick wrote Jaytude #1 in E minor, here with Olli, Max O’Rourke, and Greg Loughman.

BillDaCostaWilliamswimMichaelHorowitz
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Late in responding - recorded this one last year with a great little band. Super fun!

B

A

djazzyBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes