DjangoBooks.com

Benedetto S6 on GJ guitar

I'm wondering if this would work on a GJ guitar, if attached with Schertler putty and with the humbucker wiring converted into a Stimer pickup style plug in. How would this sound with a GJ strings? What would need to be done to the pickup for it to be a removable mount system and how would you plug in? Also does anyone have a knowledge on price estimate this would all cost and who (luthier, yourself, etc.) could do it?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    It's not really a very practical solution unless you do a permanent install and use nickel strings. We rigged up a Gitane guitar with a humbucker years ago and it turned out quite nice!

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Ite ... le-electro
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Pickups on GJ guitars sound good.
    AFA strings goes, if you string them with something other than Argentines they can sound fine.
    Titi Bamberger uses D'Addario chromes !
    Sounds fine.
    Not for everybody but electro mag is pretty cool IMO.
    Very plug and play.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Chromes?

I wouldn't put Western strings on a good GJ guitar
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Al Watsky wrote:
    Pickups on GJ guitars sound good.
    AFA strings goes, if you string them with something other than Argentines they can sound fine.
    Titi Bamberger uses D'Addario chromes !
    Sounds fine.
    Not for everybody but electro mag is pretty cool IMO.
    Very plug and play.

Joined up with Michael Bauer, who graciously hosted Kamlo Barre and Cyril Gaffiero all week, I saw Titi this weekend in Chicago! Along with Kamlo Barre and Alfonso Ponticelli and his band, Titi knocked my socks off! Someone said, much like a beloved uncle, and I'd agree...wonderful singer, master rhythm player...and nice guy. I speak almost no German so all I could do, sitting next to him, is smile more or less awestruck. He put his arm around me, smiled broadly, and gave a quick avuncular hug. He's the man.

Since returning home, I've been searching now for material in which Titi has played a part...want to know more of him, Freddy Wicke as well (who came with Titi, along with Irene Ypenburg - whose artwork has graced the multiple posters for their US stops. She also plays guitar, writes, etc...all around gifted lady...I've followed her on FB, great to meet her in person as well!).

Finally, just want to add, Cyril Gaffiero brought a couple of his guitars. I played them both, and was particularly blown away by one. Bone-dry, sonorous, rich in mid-range roundness, eminently playable. Very happy and thankful to own a beautiful instrument (Shopis), but I was really happy to come to better know Cyril and his guitars...he's a great guy, and he makes beautiful instruments. I'd be proud to own one.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.