DjangoBooks.com

FAPY AT DJANGOFEST NORTHWEST 2013!

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    What was the name of the ballad that Tcha played and wrote? Or even better does anyone have the set list of the whole night?

Following the show, Dave Kelbie gave me his copy of the set list. The songs were as follows: AE

Set 1
    I've Had My Moments
    Folie a Amphion
    J'attendrai
    Ombre et Lumiere
    Rosario Swing
    Plachterida
    China Boy
    Tu Djajal
    Time On My Hands
    Turn
    Cinzano

Set 2
    Obilvion
    I'll be Seeing You
    Vette
    Three Wishes
    Swing 2012
    I Leida
    Mit Mur Geiga
    Carnation
    I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight

Encore:
    Melodie au Crepescule
  • LoritmoLoritmo Pacific NW✭✭✭
    "Swing 2012"

Hi, Eddy,

Shouldn't that be "Swing 20,012"? :)

Lorretta
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Lol... yes, according to the original artwork... 12012

:-)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Great pictures, and by the way, Eddie - fantastic job keeping those guys running like clockwork. You're the only person since Drew whom I can imagine would be full of enough energy, organization, and peaceful karma to keep jetlagged guys who don't like big flights smiling for six days. I didn't get much chance to talk with Dave, but Fapy thought you were awesome. You rock, man.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    only one question remains unanswered: which holo guitar did fapy go home with????
    dennis wrote:
    only one question remains unanswered: which holo guitar did fapy go home with????

Well, it's a lot safer for Michael to ship to Europe than to risk an extra take-on bag through a multi-connection international flight. It's not for certain though. He has several projects in the works and they are his priority. I really like him. He is so incredibly direct. Patrus introduced us, and I asked him for feedback on two guitars. He played them and said: "I do not go around smiling at luthiers and asking for guitars - if I don't like it, I will tell you why, if I do like it I will tell you why, if I want it I will buy it and it is better for both of us that way, do you agree?" I said: "Yes sir." and then he asked me to put the one based on 862 aside for him and follow up with him the coming week. Then we talked about Selmers he has owned, and the different characteristics of various Selmers. It was a private conversation so that's as much detail as I'll go into, but he's a really neat guy and he taught me a great deal in a very short period of time. Patrus was standing right there so he saw me geek out with Fapy - asking about various aspects of this & that, tone, power-response, balance, projection, playability & etc…

I've said it before and it is the God's truth. Without artists, there is no way I could improve. Guitars are work-tools to artists and they pin their name and reputation to every concert they do, so they are brutally pragmatic about guitars from a functional and performance perspective. An artist can tell me more about a guitar after playing it for five minutes than I can learn in a lifetime by myself. That's why I track you guys down and ask you for feedback and appreciate every word you say.

By the way, jamming with you this year was a huge highlight. I've been practicing the stuff you taught me last year and it's starting to anchor. A few times it felt like we had the "Schmitt Bounce(TM)" when Quinn was soloing. I couldn't turn it on as consistently as I'd like, but we locked-up-solid and made one hand several times and was a neat experience. I think I still need a lot of practice on speeds and transitions. I still remember an exercise Nousche taught several years ago. Start slow and speed up and then slow down over the course of a few minutes, and do it with such evenness that you can feel the inertia of the rhythm resisting you as you change speed - it should feel like turning a big heavy flywheel to change speed instead of just changing speed instantly. When he does it, the increase and decrease in speed is so slow and consistent that he sounds like a machine. Doing that exercise seems to develop a sense of inertia so that changes in speed become intentional instead of just "oops I just sped up" or "oops, now I'm dragging" ... it's like you know exactly what it feels like to slowly change speed so you become more conscious of when you're doing it.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I still remember an exercise Nousche taught several years ago. Start slow and speed up and then slow down over the course of a few minutes, and do it with such evenness that you can feel the inertia of the rhythm resisting you as you change speed - it should feel like turning a big heavy flywheel to change speed instead of just changing speed instantly. When he does it, the increase and decrease in speed is so slow and consistent that he sounds like a machine. Doing that exercise seems to develop a sense of inertia so that changes in speed become intentional instead of just "oops I just sped up" or "oops, now I'm dragging" ... it's like you know exactly what it feels like to slowly change speed so you become more conscious of when you're doing it.

Wow, that's fantastic, thank you Bob. Obvious thanks for sharing your experience with Fapy as well.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Anyone record Saturday night's concert? I couldn't be there unfortunately!
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Just wondering but... did anyone get a nice photo of the band playing on stage Sat nite? Any chance you coud post it here? Thanks! AE
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Just wondering but... did anyone get a nice photo of the band playing on stage Sat nite? Any chance you coud post it here? Thanks! AE