DjangoBooks.com

FAPY AT DJANGOFEST NORTHWEST 2013!

Comments

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Looks like Fapy was playing a Selmer?...here's a close up photo of the headstock...someone told me he was playing a Boonstra, but then the photo appears to indicate it's a Selmer, even though it's a bit hidden by the tuner... But then again, it's got Fapy's signature model on the headstock. Anyone know for certain?
  • patrus le sommelierpatrus le sommelier ✭✭✭✭
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Phil wrote:
    Looks like Fapy was playing a Selmer?...here's a close up photo of the headstock...someone told me he was playing a Boonstra, but then the photo appears to indicate it's a Selmer, even though it's a bit hidden by the tuner... But then again, it's got Fapy's signature model on the headstock. Anyone know for certain?

Hi Phil. It was definitely a Boonstra. I asked him directly and he told me so -- then I picked it up and strummed on it a few times. For what it's worth, in my hands, it didn't sound anything like what you heard from Fapy. Also, it had a very fat old-style neck. Reminded me of the neck on a 40's Busato I once had... AE
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    He left his Selmer at home. This is an exact copy made by someone in France who Fapy said is little known, has no website presence etc.. Apparently this maker made additional copies of the Selmer, but is now heading off to do his own designs instead, alas! according to what Fapy told a few of us listening to his stories during the workshop break.
    Hi fellas. Here are a few Fapy photos from DFNW13...

1. Fapy and the band during first rehearsal on Thursday. Left to right: Simon Planting (bass), Ryan Hoffman (rhy guitar), Dave Kelbie (rhy guitar), Fapy Laftertin (solo guitar), and Tcha Limberger (violin).

2. Fapy with a seven cups of coffee (no, he didn't drink them all)

3. The multi-talented Tcha trying out a musical saw.

4. Beautiful photo of Fapy and Dave chillin' at the Saratoga Inn. What's so cool is this photo was shot by Tcha!! Dave jokingly said Tcha framed the photo image by sense of smell.

AE
    cbwim wrote:
    He left his Selmer at home. This is an exact copy made by someone in France who Fapy said is little known, has no website presence etc.. Apparently this maker made additional copies of the Selmer, but is now heading off to do his own designs instead, alas! according to what Fapy told a few of us listening to his stories during the workshop break.

Interesting he told you that at during the workshop break... I asked him if it was a Boonstra and he said he yes. However, there could have been a disconnect there; perhaps he thought I asked if he "played" a Boonstra. I didn't notice the label in the guitar and I thought it was interesting that it had "Selmer" (rather than Boonstra) on the headstock. Also, I couldn't help but notice his name is written on the headstock in a manner better suited for a lefty guitar heh heh! AE
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Whatever he played, I bet he showed impeccable musical taste. I'd like to hear more about his interest in Portuguese fado and if he knows, say, Custodio Castelo, Ricardo Rocha, Neto, and other great contemporary guitarristas.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Hi fellas. Here are a few Fapy photos from DFNW13...AE

AE, GREAT PHOTOS! That coffee shot is a winner! cheers buddy, Phil :D:D:D
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Here's some info on the Boonstra Fapy Model:

http://www.hotclub.nl/new.htm
  • What was the name of the ballad that Tcha played and wrote? Or even better does anyone have the set list of the whole night?