DjangoBooks.com

FAPY AT DJANGOFEST NORTHWEST 2013!

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Phil wrote:
    ...A truly wonderful performance!

and if anything... that's an understatement ;-)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    I could only make it to Sunday. I attended Fapy's workshop as a spectator. The workshop was one of the best I have ever attended. Fapy was extremely clear and thoughtful in his presentation, and got to the core of the matter. Tone quality, proper stroke, and the importance of knowing the chords correctly as well as knowing the actual melody, before one starts to embellish it. Fapy gave us some very useful practice techniques. He didn't mention such terminology as "rest stroke" once and indicated that these types of things including how one holds the pick do not matter - that there are no actual rules here, but more of a personal preference (I really appreciated that).

Fapy and John Jorgensen's rendition of September Song pretty much was worth the entire evening to me! Wow!

(An aside, during Fapy's workshop there was one very hyperactive and eager student who couldn't seem to stop practicing his Le Pompe even while Fapy was talking and even playing an example of a soloing technique. Fortunately one of the other guitarists motioned the kid to stop. The kid needs to learn a basic social skill that you don't play a note while the Master is playing, period. Also this kid's comment that once you learn something wrong you can't undo the damage and unlearn it is plain incorrect. It just takes lots of practice. But not while Fapy is playing something on his guitar right in front of you!)
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Funny you mention that, and John J in the same post. I once attended a workshop with John, and before he even came in the room, someone from the staff walked in and announced that no one should be noodling while John was talking. Considering that there were a bunch of very young people there, it was probably a smart thing to do, and it worked.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • What were Fapy's practice techniques?
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Mostly he emphasized playing the chords correctly with full voice, and starting in blocks of 4 chords as an example. Playing 4 beats per chord, then changing to the next. Then 2 for a while. Then one beat each chord. Its important to make sure the fingers are pressed correctly on the strings so that the chords sound well, instead of quietly etc. Full voice basically. Then going to large chord progressions, and following the same beats per chord routine as above.

And then an emphasis on learning the melodies first. And the correct chord progressions that go with them.

So getting grounded in chords, then melody. It seems simple in concept but its a worthwhile pursuit to build a good presence. Fapy mentioned also that he is now beyond practice more or less. I assume its now all permanent muscle memory.

At the end of the workshop he demonstrated a different tuning that he is composing to, where some of the bottom strings are dropped a 4th or 5th. Did anyone write down exactly what those tunings were?
  • This is very much in line to some of the work I am doing now with Dario Napoli, who I understand studied with Fapy.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Great thread everyone, thanks. For those of us who couldn't make it to see and hear this master, helpful to know what you experienced.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭
    No opening act Saturday evening so we were treated to several hours of Fapy & Tcha. Solid rhythm support from Simon Planting on bass and Ryan Hoffman & Dave Kelbie on rhythm guitars gave it a nice Hot Club feel. While the swing standards were performed, Fapy's compositions stole the show for me. Tcha also had an opportunity to showcase his compositions. One of the best concerts I have seen at DFNF over the last few years. Fapy is just an amazing musician.
    Went to Fapy's workshop Sunday and for $20.00 I got the same lessons as the annoying young dudes with the guitars on their laps. Not only is he a great (and patient) teacher, he often got a little sidetracked demonstrating an idea and in that sense we got an impromptu concert. The workshop was from 12:00 to 2:00 but Fapy generously kept going to 3:00. Without question the best $20.00 guitar lesson I've ever had.
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Any word of a DVD of the show being made?
  • LoritmoLoritmo Pacific NW✭✭✭
    Bob Holo wrote:
    Phil wrote:
    ...A truly wonderful performance!

and if anything... that's an understatement ;-)

No kidding! It was absolutely incredible. No words really say it all.

Lorretta