DjangoBooks.com

What's the best new GJ guitar in 2012 / order a JP Favino guitar

Comments

• Michael Dunn made the neck of my Ultrafox using pencil cedar which is actually a juniper. It sounds great, and is a lovely top wood. The usual length for long scale GJ is 670 mm so 666 is pretty much of a sameness there...

Sounds like JP is going to make you a fabulous guitar.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • On the laminate guitars sounding worse issue...I wonder if that came about with de- lamination problems due to poor quality construction in cheap guitars combined with storage in very high relative humidity situations.

Imhave seen a few examples in really moist conditions where the plies actial self destruct from the inside in due to moisture. I suspect that any guitar wood would suffer from that sort of storage, its justmthat plywood delamination is much much harder to repair.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Noodlenot, if you're playing a J.P. Favino, you're playing with the devil! :twisted:
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    scary thought! :o
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    happy new year
  • adamnelsonadamnelson Bountiful, UT 84010New
    Gibson ES-335 is one of my favorite guitar. It is most versatile guitar you can own..
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014 Posts: 48
    hi
    whats you opinion about change the scale length
    to 670mm in this order?
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Mehran, I think you worry too much. I have had two J.P. Favino guitars. I sold my Jazz S through Michael last year (Please let me know how she's doing, whoever bought it!), and I believe it had the 666 "Antichrist" scale. It was a fabulous guitar for me, and only the arrival of a couple of Busato Grand Modeles got it kicked from the closet.

I have short scale and long scale guitars, and I think the key is that the builder has worked with that scale length and knows how to get a sound around it. My J.P Jazz S loved Argie 10s, disliked 11s, and could be scare-the-neighbors loud when played aggressively. J.P. uses that scale a lot, and I think you should trust his judgement about it. J.P. doesn't get talked about enough around here, but the man clearly knows what he's doing, and I have never played one of his modern designs that wasn't a killer guitar. They are all really loud, and they all cut to the bone.

I still have my 1991 Jazz N, which is the loudest nylon string guitar I have ever heard, and can hang with all but the loudest steel strings. It has its own very cool sound, different than a classical...think gypsy jazz meets flamenco...and I want someone to whack me hard if I ever mention selling it.

Anyway, the 666 scale length is perfectly fine, and J.P. knows his business, and knows how to make it sing and dance. You picked your woods and model, now relax and let the man do his work. You'll be happy in the end.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    Anyway, the 666 scale length is perfectly fine, and J.P. knows his business, and knows how to make it sing and dance. You picked your woods and model, now relax and let the man do his work. You'll be happy in the end.
    :idea: so as a result I don't change the scale length. thank you
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    I've got a 666 scale Favino, and it's great. Such a small difference, but the guitar is very easy to play, without feeling "small". Sounds great too.

Jon