DjangoBooks.com

RIP Johnny Smith

StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
edited June 2013 in Welcome Posts: 465
I heard from a good source that Johnny Smith passed on yesterday. His music will be long remembered.
"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

Comments

• elias t.elias t. ATHENSNew
    Sad News indeed , by the way i ve never seen anyone posting this before , johnny's solo starts around 4:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE6I4lpYF9Y
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Wow sad day for sure!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Thanks for posting this Marc....sorry to hear Johnny's gone. I know what I'll be listening to today...

M
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Johnny Smith on Django:

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Johnny was a remarkable man and in Colorado Springs he was a local as well as global legend. I had the good fortune of meeting him a few times over the years, including a lunch just a few months back. I'd heard he had taken a turn for the worse since then. Howard Alden was in town a couple of weeks ago, and while at first it looked like he wouldn't be able to see Johnny because of his health, at the last minute he was able to get a meeting. I was happy for both of them. I suspected at the time there wouldn't be many more opportunities for such rendezvous.

In April I posted information about my meeting with Johnny. It's here:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10838&p=62234&hilit=johnny+smith#p62234

My favorite part of the meeting is reposted below. This is something I will remember for the rest of my life. Rest in Peace Johnny and thanks for the memories. AE

A couple of months ago a friend of mine invited me to go to lunch in Colorado Springs with legendary jazz guitarist Johnny Smith. Johnny will be 90 years old this year. While eating lunch, he suddenly stopped and looked me dead in the eye and said, "I loved playing the guitar. I still love the guitar!" When a man that's a living legend and nearly 90 years old tells you this, there is no greater truth!
  • He had a great innings.....and left us some sweet music.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • elias t.elias t. ATHENSNew
    Here is another video of the great Johnny Smith with Bing Crosby in 1977 . Has a good closeup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWX7nCqjCYM