DjangoBooks.com

Dupont Chorus f-hole top bracing

Not sure if this is the correct part of the Forum, but looking at pix of the Dupont DM-50 Chorus, I can't quite figure out the bracing pattern - the s-holes are at the waist, instead of in the lower bout as is 'normal'. I know how to brace for the lower placement of the holes, but on the DM-50 not so much. How does Dupont work around those holes smack dab in the waist area?
Any ideas? Thanks, Dave.

Comments

• deadedithdeadedith New
    C'mon, help a brother out! :-)
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Hope this helps...
  • deadedithdeadedith New
    Thanks Frater - I ran across that pic as well, and the bracing does make sense for those f-holes in the lower bout. Moved up into the waist area, though......well, maybe. Thanks for the input!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Don't know but guessing just move that stuff up toward the waist and then add a second cross brace under the bridge just like on regular selmacs???? Maybe eliminate the top one as well...
  • deadedithdeadedith New
    Bones, you may be right, I was thinking that as well. All of my experience is in making x-braced instruments and that might be a way to go on this as well. The ladder braces produce a stronger fundamental at the cost of some bass focus and lack of roundness in the trebles; the x-braces give a fuller and rounder sound but too 'wet' for swing.
    That being said, the DM-50 is almost a hybrid of the two and I'm not sure what magic Dupont used to achieve that.
    Thanks again
    Dave
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Probably Dupont did the magic looking inside a Di Mauro :-)
  • deadedithdeadedith New
    Heh heh, you're right! Now I need to get a glimpse inside a Dimauro..
  • deadedithdeadedith New
    I did find this pic on a French language site - yes, I speak no French - which gives a glimpse of the bracing scheme. I've contacted the luthier - Martin Tremblay - asking/begging for a sketch or picture of the rest of the bracing. I hope he answers.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Looks like a very personal interpretation (in fact I'd be surprised he'd gave it away :D ). Anyway the guitar sounds great although not precisely in the range of a Di Mauro tonally (wider spectrum, sounds almost like an OM but I love it!)
  • deadedithdeadedith New
    I've emailed a number of luthiers that build gypsy guitars, and not gotten one response. I find it surprising, since in all the years I've been building x-braced instruments I've never failed to get a response from even the top tier of luthiers. Much more openness in that community.

Be that as it may, I think I've come up with a solution to my problem, so thanks for your input; I'll be hanging around here for sure.