DjangoBooks.com

DiJ 2013: lick exchange Monday June 17...?

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
OK, I don't know how much longer this forum is going to be around here, I actually thought it would be gone by now, but what the hey, as long as it's here, then I'll use it just one more time.

Anthony Parker, you are a really good nag, and you finally got to me, so just now I mailed off my registration to "Django in June" 2013--- June 17-23 in Northampton MA.

http://www.djangoinjune.com/

(Note: If you've never before attended DiJ--- GO! and if you've attended before--- GO AGAIN!)

Now as you may know if you've been to DiJ before, Monday is a day with a blank agenda, because all the workshops start on Tuesday... but this where my cunning plan comes into play.

'And just how cunning is your plan, Wilson?', you ask...?

To which I can only echo the immortal Blackadder in replying, "So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp5St7hORyw

The deal is that your ticket to admission to the Lick Exchange are some photocopies of a nicely written out tabbed version of a lick you like and are willing to share: major, minor, dominant, ii-V-I, augmented, whatever. Not a long lick either, just a bar or two--- let's say four bars absolute max.

I haven't yet looked at what tunes Andrew has selected for campers to concentrate on this year, but it would be ideal if our licks were compatible with at least one of those tunes. Best of all would be the kind of lick that is open ended, and encourages further mutation and creativity.

Your responsibility is to teach the rest of the group your lick. We'll spend enough time on each one to hopefully take it from "learning" mode right up to a tempo as close as possible to actual performance speed.

The idea here is "boot camp", guys. No jamming, no fooling around, just a bunch of cats working our asses off to learn some cool licks from each other. The kind of thing those great Parisian guitar players can do every day of the week, but us Sad Sacks here in North America can rarely do.

I picture this working best in a group of 3 to 10 guitarists.

If anybody else is up for this, please add a little posting to this forum with your name and just a little bit about your lick, eg, "You can play this over an X chord and I swiped it from Y"

If you are one of the first ten to respond, you are welcome in the Monday group. If more people than ten are interested, we'll try and figure out how to schedule a second session for later in the week and at least, hopefully, everybody can get a tab of everybody else's lick.

Regards,

Will
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• Oh man. When I get there Tuesday afternoon, I want to hit this up.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Will,

Very timely post for me since I was just compiling a few licks yesterday. I decided to come up with some stuff to do over the A section of rhythm changes. For me, even though the B section changes are technically more difficult, it's hard to make interesting ideas for the A section since it is so static.

Anyway, my son is leaving for holiday on June 23 so I can't make it to DIJ this year or I would be gone when he is leaving. Oh well. So I decided to post the stuff I wrote down yesterday as my contribution instead.

If anyone has any cool licks for the A section of rhythm changes please post them since I could use some ideas.

Wish I was going to DIJ. Next year!

Thanks
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, Mike, and sorry we won't get to meet at DiJ this year.

I tried a couple of your licks (and of course recognized some Givone stuff lurking in there!) but had trouble making them sound like music. Just a wild guess, but the problem might be that I suck at reading tab about as badly as I suck at reading music...

Any chance you could make a little recording of them to share?

Thanks,

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    I'll be in Tues, but i'm up for something like this too. Jkaz- we should meet up and do a licks review bourbon tasting event.

J
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Man that sounds like a lot of fun, but I arrive 12:00 monday night/tuesday morning !

Another alternative would be if some of us want to play hookey during rhythm class, we could do some lick exchanging then as well... I don't know about you guys, but I feel like I'm happy enough with my rhythm chops for my purposes (all due respect to Andrew who wants EVERYONE to take rhythm because we all "need work on our pompe') and I would prefer to use that time for some smaller jams (you know , that don't turn into 15 roaring guitars), and perhaps lick sharing.

Getting excited !!

Anthony

PS - you're welcome Will !
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Actually, the workshops don't start until Wednesday morning. Tuesday evening Andrew holds an orientation session, so Tuesday is pretty much a down day. Some of us arrive Monday to get settled in and rest up from the long drive and be fresh for JAMMING ON TUESDAY!!!!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Will,

Yeah, I realized that the lines are hard to read off the tab 'out of context' after I posted them.

Sadly, I don't have any way to record since my son's Mac took a dump. I'll try to post something when I get a chance but no ETC on getting it fixed as yet since Apple wants the proverbial arm and a leg to fix the piece of s#!t. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

The lines are meant to basically be in G major and yes there are some of the Givone forms mixed in as well as ideas that I got off of recordings (and some of my own junk).

Also, toward the lower part of the page they get more like G7 altered or G blues ideas. I'm thinking that once I've done a few choruses with more 'inside' major-y ideas it would be OK to use some stuff a little more outside for the A section (as well as the B section).

PS- Dang I'm starting to get really jealous that I won't be there this year!!!!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Actually, the workshops don't start until Wednesday morning. Tuesday evening Andrew holds an orientation session, so Tuesday is pretty much a down day.

OK, thanks, I'd forgotten that... Well, that gives us Monday and/or Tuesday to do this, so why don't we have two sessions?

And assuming you can make both, then you bring two licks to share? Is that reasonable?

Will

PS And Anthony, while you are quite right while missing a rhythm guitar workshop not being the end of the world, I'd prefer not to organize anything that might discourage people from attending their rhythm workshops. I'd really hate to piss off Andrew Lawrence, who works so hard to make DiJ a success, and does so much for us all...

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Besides, Andrew is right. Everyone needs to work on rhythm.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Besides, Andrew is right. Everyone needs to work on rhythm.

This isn't hyperbole when I say rhythm only could take the rest of my life. It's almost an infinite world, and I'm amazed at its potential. And just how elusive a thing it is. Only very recently started to get the first whiff of a desire to begin lead playing, so I've begun waltzes (Dolores at about 1/2 Stochelo - unless doing in public, with jam mates...then it's like trying to speak bush Nama with marbles constantly pinged at my face :oops: ). Some generous help from a few folks (you know who you are - thank you, fellas).

And yet I've the nagging feeling rhythm alone is so vast, it'll take whatever years this player has.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.