DjangoBooks.com

Do you use the French Dot or American 9th fret marker

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
Hello All,

I am feeling curious today. If you are from North America does your guitar have the marker on the 10th fret (french) or on the 9th fret (American)?

Thanks - Dean

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    9th fret. I get totally confused watching YouTube demos with 10th fret markers. I know it makes sense to alot of players, but I'm so used to the American style dots. Also can't stand binding on neck (looks like an extra set of strings) or block markers (way too busy).
    Swang on,
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I own a Gitane DG 300 and an Alta Mira M 01 and both have the 10th fret dot, french style. When I first got my gitane and started playing gypsy jazz 7 years ago, I didn't love the 10th fret dot, but now I greatly prefer it. I think I've just become accustomed to it. When I'm playing Gypsy Jazz, I get super confused if I happen to be playing a guitar with a 9th fret dot, and whenever I CONSIDER buying a new Selmer style guitar, I make sure it has the 10th fret dot.
    If you think about it, what is the benifit of the 9th fret dot ? It highlights the C#/Db-/F#/Gb on the 6th and 5th string , while the 10th fret dot highlights the D, and the G on the same 2 strings.(more helpful for me and my note challenged, too much rock n roll brain.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I would expect most use the dot on the 10th primarily because that is the way most Selmer style guitars come and wanting to align ourselves with the style, most of us have just gotten used to it even though it is not the norm in the US.
  • I suspect it really only matters if you were brought up playing patterns :twisted:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I got used to the French dot (10) fairly quickly, and it makes more sense to me. 9th fret markers really through me off now. C#?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    I use both as I have two guitars one 9th and one 10th. It is not really a problem
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    anthon_74 wrote:
    the 10th fret dot highlights the D, and the G

D & G are where a rhythm guitarist lives for a lot of the original repertoire. That's why I prefer the 10th fret dot. Of the GJ guitars I play.. two have the 10th and one has 9th. I love the sound of the one with the 9th fret and mostly it's not an issue because I don't look too closely at the fingerboard when playing. I find it easy enough to move up or down a few frets without looking. But big moves are a PITA on the 9th fret guitar - or if it's a song I don't play often where I don't know the chords well and so am orienting partly off of chords and partly off of patterns and partly off prayers... like coming into the B section of Cherokee... always feels jarring when I look down and find that 9 dot sitting there grinning & flipping me off. Lol... momentary panic and then everything is fine.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    My backup guitar is a Gitane D500 with an American 9th fret dot. I covered it up withg some electrical tape and put a spot of Liquid Paper at the 10th
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    Well, it depends what dots you start with! All my American made guitars, Gibson, etc. had 9 fret markers. But, My first GJ was a Gitane 250M with the 10th fret dot. Not a big deal to get used too and seemed "logical" but then bought a '04 Dell Arte "Hommage" with 9th fret markers. Sold the 250M and ordered a '08 Holo with the 9 fret! Now own an old D-500 with the 9 fret! Why not be consistent with all your guitars is my question?
    ........Rocky
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    When I first started playing GJ, I had to have 9th fret markers because that was what I was used to, and I even went so far as to change the markers on a couple of my first GJ guitars. Then Michael Horowitz convinced me that modifying a Dupont that I had bought from him was a bad idea because it would lower the resale value. I learned to deal with the 10th fret marker and have since come to love it. It makes a lot more sense than 9. Mandos and banjos come with 10. As Tele says, why would you want to know where C# is?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles