MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited December 2012 in Welcome Posts: 6,152
Farewell Strange Meadow Lark:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/12 ... .html?_r=0

One of my all time jazz heroes....

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,252

Dave Brubeck was an amazing musician and a landmark in jazz. Not a month of my adult life has gone by that he hasn't touched. I have Brubeck on vinyl, tape, cd, dvd, & digital. Hell, I even have two of his concerts on Roku.

A favorite Dave Brubeck story: My wife's mother saw him in the basement of a bookstore in New York in the 70's. There were only a few people there and it was completely unannounced. She only went downstairs because she heard music. It's likely he was simply practicing or maybe he was working out some new music or just wandered into that bookstore and saw the piano and started playing. In any case, whose going to stop him, right? ;-) Perhaps after musicians have made it to a certain level, they crave the intimacy of communicating new ideas to a few people. But in any case, it seems evident that he had a deep love for music and what a contribution he made.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Another of the all-time greats passes. We'll miss you, Dave.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    All my heroes are going away... RIP.
  • sjlsjl ✭✭
    We will miss you, genius.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Dave Brubeck was the first jazz musician I remember paying attention to when I was young. "Take Five" was a radio hit, at least where I lived, and that led me to listen to more jazz, starting with his. What a master of understatement and subtlety! Maybe I would have stumbled across Django and Charlie Christian anyway, but it was Dave Brubeck's cool sound that made me even look at other jazz as a teenager, and all these years later, he remains the first step on the Yellow Brick Road for me. I can never think of jazz without thinking of Brubeck. And I can never thank him enough for taking me by the hand and leading me into this amazing world of jazz.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Time out was the music that got me out of swing and really into jazz when I was a young'un.

Take 5 reached #25 on the mainstream charts right up there beside RAy Charles and Time out was one of the few jazz Lp's to be a million seller (gold -real gold)

I think he didn't receive as much recognition for his contribution as he should have but IMO he was one of the true greats of the genre.

RIP
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Happy birthday dave brubeck!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Same here, Michael. I started listening to Dave B in high school, he was my introduction to jazz and led me to Miles and Wes other greats.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

My favourite Brubeck tune, this one always sends shivers up my spine. The tune is an impression from his hotel room in Japan, the raindrops sliding down the outside of the window give the title "the city is crying". Happy birthday to a kind and gentle man.
  • chip3174chip3174 New
    Dave Brubeck---I just had my college students watch a live concert on the big screen in jazz history class about 2 weeks ago. Perhaps 3 out of 10 had heard of him, only 1 knew some of his tunes...but after the meeting they all loved his music. It was with the classic quartet. Just the best stuff.

The picture I uploaded is from almost 20 years ago, when my father took me to hear him play in Maryland. I got to sit right next to the stage and watch his hands and absorb his music! I'll never forget hearing him do "Take Five" and "A train." Afterwards, he talked with my father and I for a good 30 min. I told him I played guitar and he thought that was cool. He said that Carlos Barbosa Lima had just arranged many of his compositions for classical guitar.

Anyways I'm happy for his music, personality, kindness to others and generosity. Truly and inspiration that will never soon be forgotten.
    Chip