DjangoBooks.com

Where can I hear a good straight version of Coquette?

vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
edited September 2012 in Repertoire Posts: 133
I want to learn the straight melody of Coquette by ear, but I'm having a hard time finding anyone that does it straight. Can someone recommend a good recording for this? In general are there artists that you guys use for learning the melody straight? I'd also like to do the same for I'll See You in My Dreams and other songs.

Thanks!
I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.

Comments

• Do you mean the original melody? I would suggest the source.

For something that is originally a vocal track, such as I'll see you In My Dreams, use a vocal track.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    It's a really cool tune. Stochelo has this on one of his teasers for his lessons on YouTube. They're great, but just show enough to get you motivated to want more. At least you can kinda figure out the head. He plays fast, but relaxed. Anyone got a tab for this?

http://youtu.be/-wnKXy95ql8

Swang on,
  • The head on his is a little different. The RA offers a tab on that tune with the full recording. If you haven't checked that site out, they offer monthly passes. I think its a nice site.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I've got a version by Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang backing up some godawful twenties tenor (Scrappy Lambert or someone of his ilk).... but alas it's on a vinyl reissue album so I can't share it. Venuti gets a short solo but Lang was pretty much just playing rhythm... as I recall, it's just the two of them along with a piano.

I'm guessing that Django or Grapelli may possibly have heard this record and wanted to play the tune because of Venuti-Lang?

It was also a hit by Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians (Guy's brother Carmen is listed as one of the song's composers...?) so that also could've been the version that Django heard.

For those who are wondering about the word---back in the twenties, if a girl was a "coquette", she was a cute little flirt, but still respectable, not a slut or anything seriously negative.

Will

PS Paul McCartney also recorded this song on his recent jazz album, but I haven't heard his version yet... I believe John Pizzarelli is playing guitar on it though?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    Thanks all,

Louis Armstrong does a few versions, but sings the melody and his low register makes it hard to internalize the melody.

Thanks Lango-Django! The version from Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians should work well. I found it on Spotify (not sure if other people use that here: http://open.spotify.com/track/6VJf2ztJ6mD20HfcNmpr0i). This should be perfect to learn the melody. I also feel like sometimes translating the melody from another instrument to guitar does more for ear training than from guitar to guitar, so this version will be great.

A really excellent GJ version is that of Adrien Moignard and Adrian Holovaty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKyEK_WYAOQ
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Dinah Washington sings a cool version. It should give you a good idea of the general melody.

But Nat King Cole does it much more straight.