DjangoBooks.com

Altamira m01 vs. M30

HI!!

I am a left handed guitarist. I´ve come to understand that Altamira makes left-handed models of their model m01, but I would like to know if they perhaps acommodate leftys of their m30-model. I would also like to know what you think regarding difference in sound and quality between the two models.

best regards

Jorkny
Tagged:

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I don't normally order left handed M30s, but if you'd like one I could add it to the next batch. In the past we've only had M01 left handed models made. There isn't much demand for the left handed guitars so the selection is slim.

Thanks,

Michael
  • JonnyJonny SwedenNew
    Ok! Great that you can order altamira m30 lefty(!), but I would still like to know if you think that the m30 is better thatn the m01. For 6 years ago I made the mistake of ordering a Patenotte 251 without having tested the sound quality etc. of that guitar and that's a mistake I would very much like to avoid repeating. So if you, Michael, or other forum members could give me as much feedback as you can about the altamira models, I would be very greatful! E.g, is the M30 better than the M01. I have read only good thngs about altamira, but if the m30 is better than the m01, then I would of course would be greatful if you, Michael, coulld order one.

/Jon
  • jlander9jlander9 ✭✭
    Hi Jonny,

I have an M10. I recieved it a few weeks ago and it's a quality instrument. Given Altamira's reputation you will be happy with either model. The big difference between them is the material used on the back/sides. The M01 has back and sides made of laminate indian rosewood, the M30 solid rosewood. From my experience people prefer solid but laminate is pretty good too. It's really a matter of taste and budget. Check out the design too. The M30 has a beautiful back binding. the M01 is pretty plain but still good looking. Also, the M01 has pretty bad tuners from what i've heard on this and other forums. My M10 has slightly nicer looking tuners but they stick and aren't the greatest (i'm changing them out myself ASAP). I think the M30 has similar tuners as my M10 so at least they are nicer than the M01. . There is a huge gap between the two models about $325, when you take into account any mods you may do, it adds up. I suggest possibly going somewhere inbetween with the M10 or M20 if this is an issue. (If you want to go super guitar I would also look up the M40! There is an M40 by Altamira but I haven't found a distributer). ...My opinion, if you can afford it go for the M30 (I love the design) if not for for one of the other models, You will get a great Instrument no matter which one you choose! :D (PS I love my M10!)
  • JonnyJonny SwedenNew
    Thank you for the input!

Jlander9: does your m10 have solid back and sides, then? It sounds a bit more reliable to have a solid back binding (coming from someone who doesn´t know much about guitars) and if the price range isn't that large, it seems to me it's worth going for, at least the M10.

Michael: How much more are the two other models, the M10 and the M30 (for me as a lefty)? And how long would you say it would take for you to get them, if I were to ask you to order one of them? (I am not yet asking you to do so)

Best regards

/ Jon
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Jonny wrote:

Michael: How much more are the two other models, the M10 and the M30 (for me as a lefty)? And how long would you say it would take for you to get them, if I were to ask you to order one of them? (I am not yet asking you to do so)

The left hand M01 is $125 more than the right handed M01. I'll have to ask about the left handed solid wood models, but I assume it's a similar increase. The right handed m10 is $999 and the M30 is $1199.
  • jlander9jlander9 ✭✭
    Hey Jonny,
    The M01 is the only guitar with laminate B&S, the M10 has solid Mahogany B&S. One of the great things about the Djangobooks store website is it has the specs on all of the guitars (many sites don't or they are too scattered). Head over there and click on the specs for each of the Altamiras and compare. let me know which one you choose.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Just a small aside about laminate V solid wood -

If you look through django books guitar selection, you will find many extremely HIGH priced guitars that are made of laminate and even some lower priced guitars made of solid wood.
    I even heard people say laminate is BETTER than solid wood. Frankly, if Solid wood was significantly superior to laminate, then why are there high end $5000 + guitars that use laminate ?

I don't get it.

FYI - I have an alta Mira M01 and I love the sound. The tuners BLOW however, they are ugly and cheep as hell, and I quickly replaced them with Schaller classic selmer tuners, which cost $250 with installation (and NO, unless you're a luthier you cannot do it yourself).
    Also, if you want side fret dots, you will have to have them installed (I'm not sure if the M10 or M30 has them).
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    It's a common misconception, at least for Gypsy Jazz guitars: laminate is most often better, and certainly does not diminish the quality of an instrument...
    Same is true for bolt-on necks, tops that are made of multiple pieces... what else?
    I don't want to divert your post, but none of those will make a guitar better or worse... those are just techniques, tools and tricks that guitar builders will use, nothing else... so I would not worry about them.
    - JG
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,002
    It really just comes down to the individual guitar, and I would trust your ears and forget the rest.

People forget that laminate was very high tech in the 30's, being new and chic. Since Django's guitars used laminated wood, it became the custom. I think laminate works better for gypsy jazz generally, but there are plenty of exceptions. Solid wood guitars tend to sustain really well, which is not a desirable quality in a gypsy jazz guitar. The notes decay faster, as a rule, with laminated backs and sides, and in the high-speed world of gypsy jazz, that's considered a good thing. Laminated backs and sides are stronger and much less prone to cracking than solid wood. I have a number of really old manouche guitars, and there's almost never a crack anywhere except the tops, which are solid wood. Laminates tend to be lighter than solid woods as well.

There are builders, like Rodrigo Shopis, who pretty much exclusively use solid woods, and whose guitars sound as good, as loud and as gypsy as anyone's. But Selmer, Busato, Favino, di Mauro, and the like nearly always used laminates, and modern builders have mostly followed suit, since those are the sounds most people are aiming for. All my gypsy guitars are laminate save two, and maybe a third: a Shopis nylon string d-hole I commissioned from him that doubles up for classical stuff, a plastic Mac, and perhaps a nylon string Favino from 1991. I'm still not sure about that one.

Joli mentions tops made of multiple pieces. That was really common with Busato. I think the most I've seen is a seven-piece top on a Busato. I've seen six and five as well. Those multiple-piece tops are on some of the most powerful guitars I've heard.

Bolt on necks make me cringe, but I can't say why. I've played a new Nomades, and they sound great.

When it comes down to buying an individual guitar, follow Joli Gadjo's sage advice and forget the particulars and just go with your ear. And never buy a more expensive guitar until you can hear the difference.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • And feel the difference...one thing that often gets overlooked is the responsiveness of an instrument.

If its expensive should be more than a one trick pony
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed