DjangoBooks.com

AI Clarus 2, Series 3, NY8ER cab

Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
I'm selling my Acoustic Image Clarus 2, series 3 amp and Raezer's Edge NY8ER speaker cabinet. The combination needs no introduction from me, this is a standard high quality rig often cited here as being top of the line. Gigged a lot, but both in perfect condition, selling only because I also have an AI Corus amp and need to pare down my gear.

The AI Clarus amp is separate from the cabinet, that is, not the "combo" model. I like the separate components aspect as it is lighter this way and more easily carried. Also, the amp can be set up facing the player regardless of where the cabinet is set. I usually just set both in front of me, very easy access and makes a decent music stand.

Amp has a padded carrying case with shoulder strap, and has a tear in the fabric which doesn't seem too critical. The speaker has a dust cover that works adequately in rain short of a downpour. Includes power and speaker cords.

Specs and Details on-line by the manufactures, but I would be glad to answer any questions.

Street on this is about $1500, I'd be happy with $1,000 including shipping to 48 states.

Craig

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Amp & speaker now listed separately on eBay. Amp listed as item 140809074472 . Speaker as item 140809101423.
  • marksealemarkseale
    How does the RE speaker compare to the Corus Combo?
    markseale wrote:
    How does the RE speaker compare to the Corus Combo?

The differences are pretty minor and to be honest, I could probably keep either rig and be happy. Sound wise they are very similar as you might imagine, the RE seems just a little brighter and more distinct. If I were using the speaker for vocals too, I'd probably stick with the RE. The Corus seems to work well for both mic and magnetic pickup, but so did the AI/RE.

The main reason I went to the Corus is it is about 8 pounds lighter all up, smaller overall and a little easier to carry. My AI/RE rig is two separate components which has its advantages, but the single component Corus is a little bit easier to handle, set up and take down. I've been trying to get my gig gear load down to a more graceful level and had been looking at lots of smaller, lighter options than the AI/RE rig, but was unwilling to give up the great AI amp. The Corus seems to be a pretty good solution, for me at least.
  • marksealemarkseale
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward the 10ER for the speaker component, but like you, the Corus is very attractive from a portability and ease standpoint.
    I had an RE10 (not ER) for a while. It sounded good, but the cab is large and heavy. Overkill for everything I do. The NY8 was more than adequate, two-thirds the weight and half the size. The ER version is nice, especially if you will use it for vocals at all*, but otherwise, I probably just get the NY8 version if I were doing it again.

* The nice thing about an AI Clarus rig, regardless of the speaker, is the flexibility it offers. Two channels with complete separate preamps, EQ, inputs, filters, reverb, etc. It is like having a spare amp handy all the time. Sounds good on everything from bass to vocals, guitars to keyboards, mics, mag pickups. I've yet to find something that does not sound good through an AI Clarus. Never even gotten close to full volume.