DjangoBooks.com

Django in June registration on "pause"

andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
edited June 2012 in North America Posts: 134
I thought this might be of interest, especially to those who've been waiting till the last minute to register for Django Camp at Django in June this year. The following is an update I just added to the DiJ website....a waiting list has already begun (as of 5 minutes after uploading this!)....

As of May 14 -- New registration is temporarily/partially suspended.
Please read this update carefully.

At roughly one month out from Django in June 2012, we have the kind of problem one wants to have: we have reached capacity for the dorms to which we have been assigned this year (Northrop, Gillett and Talbot.) We have also reached our target student/teacher ratio (of roughly 9/1) for guitarist, though not for violin, mandolin, accordion and bass.

I want 2012 to be not only the biggest Django in June yet, but the best for everyone who is currently a confirmed registrant, (and, for that matter, for anyone who may register in the coming weeks.) So while I explore our options for more housing in close proximity and more guitar staff of the caliber we currently enjoy, I'm going to hit the pause button for the following new registrations:
    All guitarists. Players of other instruments who would need on-site housing.

I hope to have a clearer idea of our options with respect to additional housing and staff by Monday, May 21st, at which time I'll either restart registration, or not, given the givens.

If you would like to attend Django Camp and this suspension is affecting you, I'm happy to put you on a waiting list so you have first dibs on any spots that come available. To get on that waiting list please jot me a quick email: andrew AT communityguitar DOT com and give me the following info:
    Name Instrument Length of stay (first priority is those who can come for all of Django Camp.) Whether you would like on-site housing. Whether you would want the on-campus meal plan. Whether you require financial aid.

Thanks for your understanding...I'll be back with a clear way forward very soon!

~Andrew

Comments

• roch@rochlockyer.com[email protected] new mexico (current)✭✭
    That's awesome...congrats on this well deserved success andrew....glad ur doing what u do
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    And Andrew, I hope you never stop doing it, at least in my lifetime. I can't imagine life without Django in June. Had to miss 2008, and I still feel the pain!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,471
    I don't know where else to say this - and I'll be saying more once I stop reeling from this experience - but this week was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. This isn't meant to be in any way exhaustive - I am not shooting hyperbolic when I say I'm still reeling - but among others, a profound sense of gratitude goes out to Andrew for pulling this together and being the finest of shepherds that he is - a monumental undertaking; to the many friends I made, and players I came to know; to my teachers, from whom I extracted bits of diamond to carry me forward, a sincere bow from a grateful student; to Steve, Stephane, Kamlo, Olli, Adrien, Denis, Gonzalo, Jeff, Antoine, Sebastian, Simon, Paulus, Tim and Josianne, for two of the most astoundingly beautiful nights of music I've ever witnessed; To Patrus, for his ongoing chronicling of these players and music, and for the discovery of some wines I'd not had previously; last, and certainly not least, to Michael Bauer, for his incredible generosity in sharing his beautiful guitars (and the odd swallow of Highland Park). Now that I have the courage to pass the portal of the sanctuary, I will look forward next year to trying more. Um, guitars. :D

Gassho to all.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • While I didnt get to go to Django in June, Michael was ever so gracious as to let me try his collection while I was in Chicago.

Michael, thanks so much for the opportunity. I found it very educational as well as a lot of fun. Enjoyed the tour of Chicago too.

One day I will make it to Django in June
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • First year, for me as well and I absolutely intend on making it a yearly trip. Beyond the concerts and the lessons associated with the event, there is a spirit of generosity that I honestly didn't expect. The access that we had to such talent was staggering and found myself each night grappling with whether to jam or to just sit and listen. Hats off to Andrew, all of his staff, and to everyone who went. It was just the stuff I was looking for.