DjangoBooks.com

LEFTIES UNITE!

Comments

• pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Yeah, i was there with my Matheos. Must have been you! The first gypsy guitar i played was Archtop Eddy's the friday before L'Esprit Manouche in 2003. I was in the park, playing my Dobro, watching them set up the festival, and over he walks, puts his Shelly Park in my right hand, a wegen in my left, and said "Do you know Minor Swing", which at the time was one of the 3 Django tunes i knew. And, seriously, the bug has grown...
  • Were you the guy that knew the girls from the country swing band ? Spookily I played a lefty Dobro in lieu of a Selmer copy for some time until Rob Snailwood 's guitar arrived. With Argies on and a fat wegen it sounded quite close. Destroyed the bridge eventually.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Yep, that was me. The Toy Hearts. I went to their album launch last night. T'was great.

I've often wondered about what argies would sound like on my Dobro... But not enough to do it. 8)
  • Yeah they were a bloody good band. Nice end to the weekend.

Argies on a Dobro works ok but still low on volume - heavy picking took out the wooden bridge. Not recommended.

Enjoyed your guitar and playing.
  • Pinkgary {Pull off the coverplate and put in a bridge insert that doubles the string break angle. Then you'll know

What kind of Dobro ya got. I have twoof Bobby Wolfes and one Koa RAyco :shock: :lol:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Update on Lefties.

Total: currently 15 southpaw players...

Patrick Saussois, a variety of excellent lefty Gypsy Jazz guitars
    Stephane Boucher, Shelley Park (?)
    Carlos Vamos
    David Ramos, Dupont 2011 Nomade
    Gary Williams, 2005 Dupont MD100 & 2011 Geronimo Matheos
    Ray Bartlett, 2003 Rob Ayleward, 2006(?) Moustache, 2x Harmsworth and Willis D holes
    John Wheatcroft, Ayleward & Manouche
    Janet van Goudswaard, Eimers 2008, JWC 2010 D hole, Manon 2011
    Kaatchie Rosenberg
    Gustav Lundgren, AJL
    Pere Soto, 80s Macias, Favino copy
    Martin Weiss
    Archtop Eddy, 1999 Shelley Park, 1977 Favino, 1997 Gerome, 2011 Latcho Drom Nuages
    Philippe from Montreal, Alves de Puga SL 14, Moustache #001 D-hole
    Douglas Linaker

Anyone else we can add to the list? AE
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Okay lefties -- Anyone else going to Django in June or Djangofest NW this year? AE
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    It's a bit too inter-continental for my budget. Maybe one day.
  • Gone but not forgotten how about René Challain Ferret another Southpaw.

He was the cousin of Baro, Sarane and Matelo Ferret and recorded several sides with his cousins under the name "Le Trio Ferret". Recorded with Django once in March, 1948. Challain played at Samois in 1991.
    Hey lefty gypsy jazzer here from NYC representing the NY-based group, the Vagabond Bailsmen. I play a Cordoba Gitano oval hole and it's OK...not loud in comparison to most gypsy jazz guitars, but for lefties under a grand, it's served me quite well for years. On board tuner and EQ. Helps to put shims to raise the bridge, of course. Anyone know any other lefty gypsy jazz makers for under a $1000?