DjangoBooks.com

three notes per string- descending lines

rafapakrafapak ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 219
hi guys

I would like to ask you for a favour. Can you give me examples of proper gypsy picking when you want to play descending three notes per string runs beginning with E1 string?

This is my understanding:

E1- down, up, down
B2- down, up, down
G3- down,up, down

Is this correct?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    when descending with 3 notes per string, it's very common to do:

D U D
    D pull-off U
    D U D
    D pull-off U

etc...
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    dennis wrote:
    when descending with 3 notes per string, it's very common to do:

D U D
    D pull-off U
    D U D
    D pull-off U

etc...

so the first note you strike on a string is the one that is first left in each row or the one that is first right in each row ?

D U D

D pull-off U

D U D

D pull-off U
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    dennis wrote:
    left
    thanks!
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    Cool, thanks Dennis. Will try this out. Is the pull-off approach school-specific (ie, the New Dutch Shredders will do it, but eg Fapy wouldn't)? I'd guess (without knowing) that the 'legit' old-school approach would be to pick all notes.
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    well there are no rules lol , so it's kinda hard to categorize people that way... but that pickign pattern comes from django (listen to django's tiger) , so if he did it, it must be ok haha
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    edited November 2011 Posts: 1,665
    [deleted]
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    [sigh] Ben, are you posting crazy stuff again? I see no such posts. :lol:
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    [sigh] Ben, are you posting crazy stuff again? I see no such posts. :lol:
    I seem to be hallucinating again.

No, seriously, there was a spam post that has since been removed. There doesn't seem to be an option for me to delete mine, but I can edit the text out.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    dennis wrote:
    well there are no rules lol , so it's kinda hard to categorize people that way... but that pickign pattern comes from django (listen to django's tiger) , so if he did it, it must be ok haha

Thank you Dennis, I got so entangled with "every string change with a down-stroke" that it didn't even occur to me that while trying to stick to it doesn't mean that every stroke has to be a staccato.
    This makes it so much easier to land a string change with a down-stroke.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel