DjangoBooks.com

Manior de mez Reves chords?

PolkatPolkat Chico, CANew
edited November 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 119
Most lead sheets I've seen for this tune start off with a Dmaj7 going to an A13 and so on, but while these chords work okay, most recordings and playalongs I've heard sound slightly different. I really like the sound of the playalong on the Chanson site, but here again, the chords sound slightly different.

Can anyone list the true chords for this tune? Thanks!
Violin's swing the best!

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I don't know about the "true chords" but I like these two versions with Emicads being my preference

http://emicad.altervista.org/images/man ... _reves.gif

or

http://nuagesdeswing.free.fr/jouer/manoir_ok.html

Hope this helps. Alan

PS what's the Chanson site you refer to ?
    always learning
  • PolkatPolkat Chico, CANew
    D6/9! Thanks! Now I see my mistake.
    Violin's swing the best!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I don't know about the "true chords" but I like these two versions with Emicads being my preference
    I concur. The Bb in the bass on the A13 is what creates the "characteristic" sound of the harmony to this tune.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • rvoth211rvoth211 New
    I’m only going to comment on the first two chords because I find them fascinating. Those two in combination had been floating around in my head for some time, but I could not place which piece it was. I traced it back to the Best of Jimmy Rosenberg, and I would highly recommend the album. It appears that he is playing a D6/9 with an A in the bass, and over the A13 chord, he is playing an Eb7#9 chord with a Bb in the bass. This effectively looks like a Tritone substitution, but with a #9 instead of a natural 9. I would admit I’m a bit of a pedant myself, and generally, Tritons subs use some variation of a Dom7#11 chord, so there are no #9s present. I’m terms of soloing, I would suggest the half whole diminished rooted on A. Hope this answer isn’t too verbose, but discovering this chord combination was truly revelatory and exciting for me.