DjangoBooks.com

Solo Gypsy Jazz?

AngelojfAngelojf New
edited January 2012 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 18
Pardon the newbie question, but do you know of anyone out there who plays Gypsy Jazz Guitar style solo without any other players on other instruments? If so, is this a rare occurance?

Thanks

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Really good question

What you are looking for is an album of something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwyADtjLOZQ

Unfortunately it is not commercially viable to release an album purely consisting of solo material, it will not sell.
    But there are a couple of players who I would regard as solo players playing with a band and they would be Frederic Belinsky and Raphael Fays, look them up you will not be dissappointed.

Would love to hear other opinions too myself.
  • lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
  • MusetteMusette New
    redblues wrote:
    Unfortunately it is not commercially viable to release an album purely consisting of solo material, it will not sell.

Theres Bireli's CD called "To Bi Or Not To Bi". Only solo pieces, and live.
  • KarenAnnKarenAnn Virginia✭✭
    As A newbie myself, I enjoy listening to this compilation. There is repetition, so not for the general public tastes. And all is available elsewhere. But listening to Django's various solos helps my learning process.

http://www.amazon.com/Solitaire-Django- ... 014&sr=8-1
    I'm not an expert, but most of gypsy jazz seems to hedge around playing music in small groups. I've heard plenty of beautiful solo stuff including the posted video, but I haven't seen/heard as much as I do group playing.

I think a big point in gypsy music is not just the soloist style but also the rhythm. And unfortunately it is hard to play by yourself and solo over a cool rhythm. (I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just much more difficult to pull off.)

~DB
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Well, that is true, however just about everyone has some solo pieces tucked under their belt somewhere, and many songs are given lengthy introductions which could in themselves be considered solos. Also we cannot forget Tchavolo's memorable performance in Swing...
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    .....I like Ninine Garcia's tune 'Paquito' as a solo piece since it has a steady 'pompe groove that you can work with. It's on the cd Living Legend - My dream of Love. It takes a while to work out the head and solo against your syncopated punch rhythm chords, but people like it and it it is a fun solo piece!
    .....Rocky
  • Dario NapoliDario Napoli Milano✭✭✭✭ Hahl Gitano Deluxe
    Yes, Bireli's To Bi or Not to Bi sounds wonderful
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    edited November 2011 Posts: 1,665
    [deleted, spammer gone]
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    I had forgotten about this this thread, I don't mind the spammers as they bump threads that would be otherwise lost in the wilderness of servers forever more.

My original point was you cannot release an economically viable album in the GJ genre that is solo. Bireli can, Stochelo can, and Angelo can, to a lesser extent.
    Point being, you can't and I can't.
    Ben, Elliot, even Dario himself are going to find it difficult to make back the money put into recording such an album. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but It would seem it's unfortunate that this is the case. There is much beauty in GJ solo work, like the Bireli album.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cvUnUfm ... re=related