DjangoBooks.com

New Staff for Django in June

andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
edited June 2011 in North America Posts: 134
I'm happy to report a few additions to our guitar staff at this year's Django in June. Thanks to Gonzalo Bergara and Jeff Radaich for signing on at the last minute for all of Django Camp (and a Friday night performance with Aaron Weinstein.)

And it looks as though Stephane Wrembel can free himself up for a 24-hour visit with us on the weekend as well. Love it.

With all this staff, we can easily accommodate last minute Campers or those who would like to drop in for the weekend. Swing by DjangoinJune.com for all the details and find a way to get here if at all possible.

I'll see many of you -- including our esteemed host, Michael Horowitz -- in about a week!

~Andrew

Comments

• HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Terrific! Thanks Andrew! 8)
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Bergara, Wrembel, and Radaich: that's one hell of a "second team" Andrew. See you in a week!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Bergara, Wrembel, and Radaich: that's one hell of a "second team" Andrew. See you in a week!

Wait till they hear about the "third team", Michael...which will be you, offering dance classes for all the different rhythmic styles we're going to cover.

I'm thinking of having Django in June embossed lampshades made, just for the occasion.

~A
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Have you seen me dance, Andrew? I am to dancing what a termite is to carpentry.

Besides, the "Hot Club of Room 202" is officially the "fifth" team. 8) Those who have been there need no explanation.
    This seems like as good a place as any to put this...

Andrew has asked us to do another vintage guitar session like last year, only this time on Wednesday evening when things are a little less chaotic. I will bring most of my gypsy guitars, including an exciting new addition that probably only a handful of people at D in J have ever seen an example of, and Benny Roberson is bringing a couple of things as well, but we can always use more.

I want to emphasize that we are not limiting this to vintage guitars, but welcome any guitar not commonly found in a typical jam. Not that many players get to hear a Shopis, Holo, Park, Aylward, Hahl, even Dupont Busatos and VRs, etc. (or even an exceptional or rare MC/MD series Dupont, and anyone who has an uncommon guitar would be welcome to put it into the show.

Last year I expected about 5-10 people and had over sixty attending. The idea is that everyone attending gets to hear a bit about the guitar from the owner and then hear it played by quality players. Afterwards, I let attendees have a go at my guitars, but that is up to each owner, and there is no obligation to do so. I'll have six vintage and one modern guitar. Benny will have at least one other vintage guitar as well. In a perfect world, I'd love to have a dozen or so vintage boxes and as many modern exotics.

So many players that are thinking about their next guitar have never heard good (or even any) examples of different luthiers creations. This gives them a chance to do so and to compare them against excellent examples of vintage gypsy guitars.

So if anyone attending Django in June who is fortunate to have a high end or vintage gypsy guitar would be willing to join in the fun, please send me a PM. I was really gratified at the nice comments people made about last year's session, and we'd like to make it even better this year. Either way, see you there.

The Hot Club of Room 202 will be relocating downstairs this year. I don't know the new room number, but listen for the sound of old guitars and clinking glasses and you'll find your way...
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    That's very cool, Michael. I'm glad to hear that there will be a reprise of this event this year. The guitar showcase last year was a lot of fun and a great opportunity to hear and try out some very special guitars.

I'll be bringing my Rodrigo Shopis Favino-style guitar, my '94 Dupont MD-20 (built entirely by The Man himself), and my vintage Castelluccia. I know there are some more great guitars owned by several of the Django in June regulars and look forward to being able to flog them once again.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Benny, I regret not bringing my '92 Dupont last year, but there just wasn't room in the car, and now it's sold, so I'm glad you're bringing yours. Those early 90's Duponts are really something! I would have liked to bring the Patenotte as well, but decided to send it off to Michael to sell. I am really pressed for room in the condo, so every time I add something, something else has to go. And I have my eye on a certain Castelluccia... 8) Too bad though, that Patenotte is a giant slayer! I'd have loved to have kept it.

I hope a few other guys will participate. Ben Wood is bringing his 7-string Dell Arte, but an AJL, a Dunn, a Zwinakis, etc, would all be neat to hear.
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Michel St Pierre has told me he'll have a couple Favinos with him...for sale, no less.
    ~Andrew
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    andoatagn wrote:
    Michel St Pierre has told me he'll have a couple Favinos with him...for sale, no less.
    ~Andrew
    One of them is a cool nylon string.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Benny, I regret not bringing my '92 Dupont last year, but there just wasn't room in the car, and now it's sold, so I'm glad you're bringing yours. Those early 90's Duponts are really something! I would have liked to bring the Patenotte as well, but decided to send it off to Michael to sell. I am really pressed for room in the condo, so every time I add something, something else has to go. And I have my eye on a certain Castelluccia... 8) Too bad though, that Patenotte is a giant slayer! I'd have loved to have kept it.
    Yeah, I would love to have tried the '92 Dupont. It looked like an exceptional instrument. It was nearly mine (as you will certainly recall), but a certain Castelluccia popped up, and that was that. I think you'll like my '94.
    I hope a few other guys will participate. Ben Wood is bringing his 7-string Dell Arte, but an AJL, a Dunn, a Zwinakis, etc, would all be neat to hear.

Adrian will probably be there with his AJL. A Zwinakis would be cool, as would a Barault, Holo, or ALD.

Michael, how about listing the guitars you plan to bring, as a way to stimulate interest in the event? For those of you who are not familiar with the Hot Club of Room 202, one of the great pleasures of Django in June is getting to try out some of the prize vintage guitars in Michael's amazing collection. He is very generous in sharing these with other campers.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles