DjangoBooks.com

How many playable Selmers remain?

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    #593 alive and well
    jonathanmaness
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    redblues wrote:
    #593 alive and well
    Yours?
    jonathanmaness
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Not mine Ben, I wish though, in good condition, currently in Spain
    jonathanmaness
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Biel Ballester has one, but he never mentioned the number to me. Maybe 593 is his?
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Biel Ballester does own a Selmer, i shall look into the number

Edit: Biel describes his Selmer as a "1941 Selmer" but does not divulge the number. He has posted a good few pictures of it and it looks in good condition. But it's not the #593. PM me if you really want to know how i know this. But suffice to say Biel does not own the #593
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Pardon my ignorance, but were Selmers lacquered inside the body? That's a really nice close-up thru the sound hole and it looks like a thin coat of aged lacquer over the brace and inside wood.
    Swang on,
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    [quote="Steveareno"... were Selmers lacquered inside the body?[/quote]

Yes, well, the backs and sides at least. Just a couple light coats. I doubt this was done for aesthetic purposes. More likely to seal the wood in order to slow down climate and humidity changes to the body. Selmers were built to take abuse and climate change, the use of laminated backs and sides being a prime example. Interior sealer is another.

I haven't seen a top sealed on the under side, though it might be a good idea if it was just 1-2 thin coats of shellac or other thin sealer. One would have to be careful not to contaminate the gluing surfaces where the top meets the sides.

CB
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Definitely not sure about that, but I think I remember at ALD they do that in their "Rebelle" model...
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8884&p=45465
    ...I think Biel bought this a few years ago>??
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    As far as i know, the #520 was George Cole's from mid 2008 up to that sale you linked