check out these guys' rest-strokes

aa New York City✭✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 800
Www.alexsimonmusic.com
Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes...it's no secret that the rest stroke technique is very old. As you've discovered, it goes back to the original plectrum instrument....the Oud.

You'll also see it used on a plethora of other plectrum instruments: bouzouki, tres, banjo, mandolin, bandola, etc....

It's pretty hard to find a pre 20th century plectrum tradition that doesn't use it...

'm
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    oud players use long picks. is there any advantages or disadvantages? do any gypsy jazz guys use long picks?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    A,
    yeah, but really flexy picks too . . . I play some DIM (Django inspired music- thx dennis!) with one in Central park yesterday- cool sound! It was great fun; and a close up look at someone playing oud was pretty interesting Re GJ picking. Funny, he didn't when he picked up my guitar!
    Cheers,
    B.
    Ps. Cool VIDS!
    say, how old is the oud, and how does it compare to those harp-like African stringed instruments (the name escapes me at the moment)?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'm not up on the entire history of the oud...maybe someone knows of a web site or book on the topic?

'm
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    oud is old . . . much older then our current guitar (even classical) . . . about 500-700 years old . . . if I remember correctly from school. The african harps are much much much older (like morning of human development) . . . 3000+ or so (perhaps more). The african harps (hunters harps and Koras, among other names) are not fretted, and have strings attached to gourds with a stick; you slide the knot attaching the string up and down to tune them; and each string has one pitch. I love the sound of the kora- in fact I alternate weeks with a kora player at a cafe on sundays . . . a fantastic instrument.
    Cheers,
    B.
    Ps. feel free to correct my dates- they may be of by a century or two!