DjangoBooks.com

dutch lick no.3

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited October 2005 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 2,159
works over Dm or G7.... you can always play a ii chord idea over a V7..... one of my teachers back in my university days put it this way: think of the ii chord like the little piece of shit hanging from a dog's ass... it doesn't do anything, but it's just there if you want it....

e-8-5----------------------------------------------------------------
b------6-------------8-0----7-0---6--------------------------------------
g--------7p6-5-4-5------5------5-------------------------------------------
d------------------------------------------------------------------
a------------------------------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------------------------------

faifie reinhardt (from the extended rosenberg clan) loves this... he probably got it from jimmy since i believe they live in the same camp (Asten)

8th note throughout

it's from this Dm7 shape: x 5 7 5 6 5

Comments

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Can that lick is used in transposed positions as well? If so, does the open string remain the same?

I think I've tried to learn this from songs in other keys and never knew what filled in the holes. It might make sense if it was still those open strings, used as a rythmic device rather than a melodic one.
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    dennis wrote:
    one of my teachers back in my university days put it this way: think of the ii chord like the little piece of shit hanging from a dog's ass... it doesn't do anything, but it's just there if you want it....

I'll pass, thanks.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    V-dub wrote:
    Can that lick is used in transposed positions as well? If so, does the open string remain the same?

I think I've tried to learn this from songs in other keys and never knew what filled in the holes. It might make sense if it was still those open strings, used as a rythmic device rather than a melodic one.

of course, the open string is a rhythmic effect, you can even mute it if u want
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I replaced the open strings with x's so that this lick can be transposed. The muting is done with the index finger, which can lightly touch the B string while still holding the note on the G string:

dutch3.GIF

I'm starting to hear this everywhere now that I'm aware of it!

Powertab:

http://www.darkmindshosting.com/~anouma ... dutch3.ptb
  • PeanutPeanut Green Bay, Wisc.New
    Thanks V-Dub for supplying the standard notation. I was just beginning to try to get my head around how I would play this on a mandolin. And then, here it is, in a language I can understand.
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Hey Dennis-
    Fingering?
    Thanks
    B.
    (the notes on the G are giving me a spot of trouble at speed)
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    whatever fingering feels most comfortable to you really.... i use on the G string:3 2 1 1 1