DjangoBooks.com

Django in June 2011 Artists & Staff

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    So...Anybody ever show up to a GJ meetup with an Eletric Hollowbody? :lol:
    Not only that, but flattops and resophonics as well. About the only problem is that the flattops and archtops have trouble being heard in the jam sessions over the gypsy guitars, but people are usually pretty good about backing off.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hey all. I'm gonna be a first-time attendee at Django in June. Cleared my gigs for mid-June and got my airline tickets. I'm ready to go! Here's a tip for the first time flying-in attendees: Be sure to check the Django in June webpage, particularly under "directions" and most specifically where it says:

Flying in for Django Camp?
    Fly into Bradley International (Hartford/Stringfield) if you can. From there, I'd suggest you get the shuttle with Valley Transporter.

This part about Valley Transporter is good to know so you don't rent a car for a 40 minute drive. There's a link to Valley Transporter at the DiJ site.

Also, like everyone else here I'm super stoked about seeing Les Doigt de l'Homme. Like Phil, I've been waiting for years to see this band! It's hard to find info about them in English so see below copy if you're foreign language challenged. (This info is from the DjangoFest San Fransciso/Mill Valley website, which is now updated for DFSF/MV as well)

Les Doigts de l´Homme > > > http://www.myspace.com/lesdoigtsdelhomme

Line-up:

Olivier Kikteff - lead guitar
    Yannick Alcocer- rhythm guitar
    Benoît Convet - rhythm guitar
    Tanguy Blum - double bass and electric bass

The four members of Doigts de L´Homme come from very different musical backgrounds, but their sense of curiosity and love for Gypsy jazz has brought them together in this exciting and unique ensemble. They are not interested in reproducing what was being played 50 years ago, but rather boosting Gypsy jazz into the future. In their repertoire, you will find unexpected covers such as a swing version of Ravel´s "Bolero" and old French songs like Serge Gainsbourg´s "Le poinçonneur des Lilas", plus original compositions stirred by the energy of rock ´n´ roll.

Formed as a trio in Spring 2003, Les Doigts de l´Homme´s popularity quickly grew. They started by busking in the streets, but within two years racked up more than 140 major concerts. In 2008 they became a quartet by adding another guitarist. All the while, their sound continued to evolve as they drew from universal sounds ranging from the Orient to the Balkans.

The band toured throughout Europe and Canada for another two years, building a diverse fan base and amazing audiences with their energy, creativity, and humor. Their arrangements are complex, inspired and beautiful. Yet Doigts de l´Homme´s music remains accessible by all. Their performances are fluid, and clear and an unsurpassed experience for all listeners.

See you all in June! AE
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Terrific AE, look forward to meeting you. I'm still waiting for the weekender schedule/prices - hint, hint, cough, Andrew, cough :lol:

Do most of you stay on site in the dorms and do the whole meal plan thing?
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    HotTin:
    Workin' on it! Should have the weekend info up on the web by the first of April.

Meantime, you should do something for that cough, brother. You sound terrible! :)
    ~Andrew

DjangoInJune.com
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hottinroof come for the whole week, you'll have lots of fun, and i'll be your personal teaching slave hahahha
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    dennis wrote:
    hottinroof come for the whole week, you'll have lots of fun, and i'll be your personal teaching slave hahahha
    Don't let that frightening threat from Denis scare you off. :wink: It's really worth your while to come for the whole week. The classes are great, and then there are the jams that go on all the time, late into the night and next morning. You get to know people better and make more new friends.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    And I'll usually bring something for your cough, but supplies are usually running low by the weekend. 8)

And do come for the week. There's really a whole different vibe among the campers, compared to the weekenders. Besides, Dennis as your personal teaching slave? Who could pass that up?!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    And I'll usually bring something for your cough, but supplies are usually running low by the weekend. 8)
    Fortunately, there are resupply places in town with a fine selection!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    LOL! :lol:

I just can't take the time off from work. I'm speaking with Andrew about doing a Fri-Sat-Sun thing. And of course I'll be down for the Tues night Les Doigts show!
    It's going to be a busy week of driving...
    It will be fun to meet everyone in person. Dennis and Klaatu will be easy to spot due to the muscles and metal helmut. Horrowitz will be easy as well - as long as he has his couch with him. Michael Bauer however, will be a challenge. :lol:
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    Michael Bauer however, will be a challenge. :lol:
    All you need to remember is ... Hot Club of Room 202!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles