DjangoBooks.com

"Jimmy" ~"Gonzalo" Lick?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Ok...that's the lick Dennis just wrote out...Jimmy plays it in Bb. It will be in the Gypsy Fire book....

'm
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Great! Thanks to all for working with me on this. I will practice it...it didnt sound quite right to me as I can't get the lick down within 3 seconds flat like Jimmy...something to strive for though.

cheers

Phil
  • langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I'll have a go at it.

Is that the lick you're talking about? Jimmy plays 2 variations of it at the end of the first 2 sections of his 1st solo. This is the second one:

C7/F7/Bb6

e-15-17-18-15------------------------------------------------------------
    b---------------16-------------------15--------------------------------
    g------------------17-15h17p15-14---17-14------------------
    d-----------------------------------------------15---13-12h13p12---------
    a--------------------------------------------------------------------15-12-13-
    e-----------------------------------------------------------------

e----------------------17-15
    b---------------15-18----
    g--------14-15-----------
    d-12-15-------------------
    a---------------------
    e----------------------

troy
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the dutch would generally play that last F on the high E string instead of the B string
  • langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    dennis wrote:
    the dutch would generally play that last F on the high E string instead of the B string

You're right Dennis. I didn't spend much time thinking about it. 2 minute transcription.

Thanks

troy
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    Troy and Dennis have the same lick idea here. Ritary uses it all over the place, and others make frequent use of it too. I think it's used enough to be called a cliche, in the good sense, of course. It's actually not hard to play at speed, though Troy's fingering is a little awkward at first glance. A nice variation appears in Andreas version of Coquette. He replaces some of the pulls with chromaticism. He does it on the second ii-V of the tune, in measure 5, (not including the intro) before he even finishes stating the melody! Those be-bop guys... Anyway, that particular variation has a nice triplet lead-in starting on beat 3 of measure 4. I have a way of cheating on the lead-in part. The phrase is 4 ascending chromatic notes in tripllet time. Gypsy style would have it played DUDD. I play it as DHUD, with "H" for hammer-on. This way you can still get the empphasis on the last note.

Mike
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    Troy and Dennis have the same lick idea here. Ritary uses it all over the place, and others make frequent use of it too. I think it's used enough to be called a cliche, in the good sense, of course. It's actually not hard to play at speed, though Troy's fingering is a little awkward at first glance. A nice variation appears in Andreas version of Coquette. He replaces some of the pulls with chromaticism. He does it on the second ii-V of the tune, in measure 5, (not including the intro) before he even finishes stating the melody! Those be-bop guys... Anyway, that particular variation has a nice triplet lead-in starting on beat 3 of measure 4. I have a way of cheating on the lead-in part. The phrase is 4 ascending chromatic notes in tripllet time. Gypsy style would have it played DUDD. I play it as DHUD, with "H" for hammer-on. This way you can still get the empphasis on the last note.

Mike
    marciero wrote:
    I have a way of cheating on the lead-in part. The phrase is 4 ascending chromatic notes in tripllet time. Gypsy style would have it played DUDD. I play it as DHUD, with "H" for hammer-on. This way you can still get the empphasis on the last note.

Mike

that's not cheating as that's how most gypsies will play it too... what i teach my students to do for every lick/pattern i show them is to find

1: variations, there are so many variations on that lick, stochelo goes through a few on There Will Never Be Another You of the seresta album

2: ways to lead in and out

3: breaking it down to smaller chunks so you don't have to play the entire lick
  • RovelloRovello Marseille / FranceNew
    Thanks for all that material ! :lol::wink:
    Great forum !