DjangoBooks.com

Question about Cigano GJ-10 Guitar

I'm planning on buying the gj10, Iv had the cordoba gypsy jazz guitar and I guess it was okay for only $400, Is the gj10 a better guitar? Or should a spend a few more bucks on a other model? And should I do a set up? What's the advantages and what type of setup?

Thanks for reading and all your responses are highly appreciated.

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    The Cigano is definitely a better guitar in the sense that it's built truer to the Selmer lines. The Cordobas I've seen are identical to the Aria MM D Hole - which was a great little guitar while I had it but the GJ10 is way better.

As for setup etc. that's really down to you. I did my own upgrades - Saga deluxe machineheads bought from here on Djangobooks, I put chamois leather inserts on all my gypsy guitars anyway ( I hate the red and green "leather" bits that come with most of them ) and I raised the bridge with shims.

It may be that a fret level is necessary given that while the quality of most guitars is pretty good they are mass produced and will vary in terms of finish from specimen to specimen. I suppose the more setting up you have done the less you need to do yourself. My recommendation would be to upgrade the tuners ( the Saga deluxe as used on the J Jorgenson model are some of the best you can get anyway and they look soooooo cool)

Whatever you decide in terms of upgrades you are getting a great guitar for the money - I see Michael has them on here for $330 - if it wasn't for the shipping and import duty I'd buy another one.

Alan
    always learning
  • The Cigano is definitely a better guitar in the sense that it's built truer to the Selmer lines. The Cordobas I've seen are identical to the Aria MM D Hole - which was a great little guitar while I had it but the GJ10 is way better.

As for setup etc. that's really down to you. I did my own upgrades - Saga deluxe machineheads bought from here on Djangobooks, I put chamois leather inserts on all my gypsy guitars anyway ( I hate the red and green "leather" bits that come with most of them ) and I raised the bridge with shims.

It may be that a fret level is necessary given that while the quality of most guitars is pretty good they are mass produced and will vary in terms of finish from specimen to specimen. I suppose the more setting up you have done the less you need to do yourself. My recommendation would be to upgrade the tuners ( the Saga deluxe as used on the J Jorgenson model are some of the best you can get anyway and they look soooooo cool)

Whatever you decide in terms of upgrades you are getting a great guitar for the money - I see Michael has them on here for $330 - if it wasn't for the shipping and import duty I'd buy another one.

Alan

What's the deal with upgraded tuners?
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    Strangely, I've bought a mess of Ciganos.
    I've had to put a little shim under most bridges - Save your best hardwood shavings and bits.
    I've also had to adjust the truss on some.

These are free, no hassle, every guitar may need issues.
    Your Cigano may play fine out of the box. If not, there's not likely much to do to get it going well.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • Jeff Moore wrote:
    Strangely, I've bought a mess of Ciganos.
    I've had to put a little shim under most bridges - Save your best hardwood shavings and bits.
    I've also had to adjust the truss on some.

These are free, no hassle, every guitar may need issues.
    Your Cigano may play fine out of the box. If not, there's not likely much to do to get it going well.

So would you say a setup is a must? What advantages will I get with a setup?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I don't think the setup is a must. The guitar will be pretty playable as it comes - the setup will just give it that edge for definite. There are some things which will improve the sound - e.g. the bridge upgrade and possibly a fret level and truss rod adjustment to reduce buzzing - other things will improve the playability as well, e.g. fret level and truss rod adjustment. And I suppose some things just make the thing look better - but then that's personal choice. I can't stand red and green leather inserts or tailpieces which don't follow "traditional" lines

I raised the bridge on my Cigano cos I like a high action - 5mm or so - and as for the tuners I just preferred the look of the Saga deluxe ones which have antique ivoroid buttons and just look better. I suppose though that they also have the ability to increase the tension required to turn them- this makes for better tuning stability - and if you need to clean or lubricate them ( unlikley ) then their open back design means you can do that.

I took my Cigano to Samois shortly after I got it in 2008 and showed it to John Le Voi. In his opinion it was closer to the original Selmer design than many other higher end Sagas, he loved the construction - sepecially the lightweight finish - and his only comment was that he woudl dress the frets and adjust the truss rod. I never did either of thise things and it sounded ok to me

I don't know if that helps in anyway, hopefully it does

Alan
    always learning
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I love the Cigano GJ10 and I want one someday. It has the arched top, higher neck angle, and truss rod (not entirely sure about that one) that none of the more expensive Sagas have. For gypsy picking you need that extra centimeter of height off the top of the guitar so that you dont ping the top all the time. Coming out of the factory, their quality probably varies slightly and I would say you need to see the guitar in person before you know what needs to be done to it, just as Bob says.
    Ditto above.
    Half of the ones I bought needed a little truss rod adjustment and shims.
    It's always right to get the frets dressed, but it won't likely be so bad that you'll have too.
    I've never dressed a Cigano, but I like a fairly high action.
    I don't think it likely you'll need to spend money before it plays well. But who knows. These are the least expensive in the pack, and even the more pricey ones can come messed up.

You get a perfect fret board, meaning level, nothing high or low. It's bliss! I have only done it on pricey guitars or done it myself on the guitars I'm playing very regularly.
    A neck set up helps gives you all the tone the guitar can give. No stinker notes mixed with the good ones. Of course you get ease of play too.
    Net-net
    Its always nice to get a set up and you probably don't need it.
    While I was writing above, two Cigano 15's arrived. Both play pretty good.
    I won't be sending them to the guitar tech, but doing a little tweaking perhaps.
    Just for the information. Both are fine, but one seems a good bit tighter and louder than the other.