DjangoBooks.com

My other swing guitar

bigericbigeric Las Vegas Nevada USANew
This my other swing jazz guitar. I have owned this guitar for 30 years or so.
I recently bit the bullet and installed the pickup.
Very glad I did. It went from laying around to my first choice guitar for jazz gigs.
43-47 Gibson L 50 or L 48. You really cant beat the tone from a vintage guitar.
Also solid spruce top, maple sides and back with brazilian rosewood fingerboard and bridge..

bigsrig.jpg

Comments

• thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    Nice guitar! Here's my "other" guitar, a 1953 ES175. I love it!:

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    thrip wrote:
    Nice guitar! Here's my "other" guitar, a 1953 ES175. I love it!:
    Nice solo choice. Django at his most laid back but somehow still right "on it". The sort of solo few current gypsy jazz guitarists would have the courage to play. All about the music rather than the technique. The technique at the service of the music rather than vice versa.

How long can you remember transcriptions like this for Thrip?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Very cool. Nothing like those vintage archtops for a classic jazz sound. Here's my 1945 Epiphone Blackstone, with Benedetto pickup. The crossbar on the tailpiece is made of rosewood, a wartime measure to save on metals. These old New York Epiphones are IMHO every bit as good as the instruments from their #1 rival Gibson.

... and here's my 1946 Epiphone Triumph (dealer's photo. I have added an aftermarket pickguard to it since this was taken) I use this one in my big band gig, for Freddie Green style rhythm. It cuts through a whole 18 piece orchestra!

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    L7C.jpg
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • bigericbigeric Las Vegas Nevada USANew
    Mighty nice guitars! Thrip what nice playing! I love Charlie and Djangos playing equally.
    I wonder who influenced who ? They both were popular about the same time. I'm sure they were mutual admirers of each other.
    Thanks! Some very nice guitars here!
    How long can you remember transcriptions like this for Thrip?

Unless I play them regularly I forget them quite quickly :( I can play the melody from the one above but I'm afraid the solo has gone. Still I think it's a worthwhile exercise, every now and then a lick or idea will stick and be assimilated into my playing.
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    Check out the latest issue of "Fretboard Journal". There's a great article about David Rawlings and his old Epiphone, and older archtops in general.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Awesome transcription Thrip!

Can you post a pdf or tab?

thanks
    Thanks Bones, but unfortunately I haven't written anything down.

I have recently added a transcription of Django's 1949 "Melancholy Baby":

You can get the transcription here:
    http://web.mac.com/tjvrobinson/timrobin ... tions.html
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Cool thanks for that Thrip.

How do you do that fast enclosure lick (I think that's what it is) in the second chorus of It Had to be You? I think it is over the II7 chord in measures 9-10.