DjangoBooks.com

A Tip For Beginners

stuckinkansasstuckinkansas KansasNew
edited September 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 55
Make no mistake, I am a beginner myself, but I have found these tips to be very helpful. Depending on your choice of mp3 players (I use several different), the Winamp player has a plugin called "pacemaker" which you can use to slow down audio. This works great for trying to figure out those gypsy licks. You still have to have a good ear, but every little bit helps.

Also, when it comes to improvising, soloing, whatever you want to call it, I have found that it really helps to play along with rhythm tracks, and not just recordings of soloing players. This way you hear only your improvisations. Robin Nolan's gypsy series of books is a great learning tool. It teaches you the head or melody, and then you take it from there. Colin Cosimini has put out "The Gypsy Chord Book" series which is great for learning the different chord substitutions used in the songs, but the recordings on the cd are short. If you are poor, like I am, learn the chords to one of your favorite tunes and record the rhythm. It doesn't have to be studio quality, a boob box will do. Then you have a rhythm track to play along with.

I think the most important thing to remember is this is a difficult form of music, you're going to get frustrated, but keep at it! The small victories you have now and then are highly worth it.

I hope this helps someone!

Comments

• BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Depending on your choice of mp3 players (I use several different), the Winamp player has a plugin called "pacemaker" which you can use to slow down audio. This works great for trying to figure out those gypsy licks. You still have to have a good ear, but every little bit helps.

This is a great tool, too:

http://www.ronimusic.com/

Best regards,

Barengero
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy

Also, when it comes to improvising, soloing, whatever you want to call it, I have found that it really helps to play along with rhythm tracks,

If you are poor, like I am, learn the chords to one of your favorite tunes and record the rhythm. It doesn't have to be studio quality, a boob box will do. Then you have a rhythm track to play along with.

Although you are poor, you should at least save your time :wink:
    Look here:

http://nuagesdeswing.free.fr/pub/index_jouer_pub.html

Best,

Barengero
  • stuckinkansasstuckinkansas KansasNew
    Thank you guys for adding to my suggestions.
    Barengero, that site rocks! I would have never found it in a million years.
    Thanks.
  • Alan HighAlan High New
    Thank you for pointing it out and bravo to those who created it,

Alan.
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Don't forget about these two things:
    Transcribe (shareware, but worth- slows down, loops, pitch analysis) from seventhstring.com (i think).
    and Djangology.net (there are a bunch of mp3s of rhythm tracks).
    Cheers,
    B.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I have a whole bunch more rhythm tracks to share but I havent yet had time to post them. I spend too much time goofing around on other peoples websites. LOL