DjangoBooks.com

2 songs from Videos I would like to know the names of

edited July 2010 in Repertoire Posts: 24
The first one is from a Denis Chang video on dynamics.
I'm damn sure I've heard this before, but don't know where.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiTNDdXUaLY
It starts at around 1:27
I don't know, but somehow it reminds me of Debussy or Satie, but not Jazz Manouche...

And the second one is from a video from the Liberchie festival
It also starts around 1:27. It might be improvised, but damn I dig that groove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XXPnFnmcqE

The reason I ask is because I would like the learn a full version of both of these songs, but can't find them because I don't know their names.

best regards,
s.h.

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi there,

the first one with Dennis is Danse Norvegienne - Greig wrote the original version, the second is Troublant Bolero, a Dajngo tune.

As for your other thread - why not go to Lollo Meier for a weekend - he offers mastrclasses on a one to one basis, you stay with him in his site in Holland. One of my friends went and thouroughly recommends it.

Lollo is a lovely man, very patient and a great player, you can contact him through his website

www.lollomeier.nl

cheers
    Alan
    always learning
    I don't think I'm good enough for masterclasses.
    I've been playing guitar for 6 years, and I played mainly fingerpicking stuff for the first 3 years, then I got into Jazz and Flamenco, and just recently started playing with a plectrum, so that's a big weakness of mine. I need to get to get the basics down before I start taking masterclasses.
    I don't even have a Maccaferri style guitar, I'm playing it all on my electric, but I'm use heavy gauge strings and high action (because I alway prefered it like this anyways for the blues and jazz stuff I've been playing)

As for the videos:
    Danse Norvegienne sounds similiar, but I can't find any other version where the melody goes like Chang's, but it's the melody that sounds so damn familiar to me. Maybe he picked it from another classical piece.
    And the second one: I don't mean the recording that plays in the beginning, I'm talking about the jam of the 2 guys at around 1min27sec

But thank you very much for your effort, much appreciated!
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    The chord pregression Dennis plays over is Danse Norvegienne - he quotes bits of the melody in his improv, Dorado Scmidt does a great version as does Angelo deBarre.

The second video - at 1.27 in, I didnt pay attention the first time - sounds like a stab at Minor Blues.

Although I mentioned a Masterclass Lollo does teach those starting out and maybe what I should have said is a class from a master. I think he woud set you out on the right track and help you avoid all the mistakes and wrong turns most of us take

Alan
    always learning
    Well as I said, I don"t even have a Maccaferri style guitar, and am far from being able to buy one, and I doubt he would be happy if I came along with an electric...
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    wow that's so old hahhah, i was really just improvising over the changes of grieg's norwegian dance
    dennis wrote:
    wow that's so old hahhah, i was really just improvising over the changes of grieg's norwegian dance

Oh, it's you :D
    I want to say thank you for all the instruction material you made and uploaded for free

But the melody you play in the beginning reminds me so much of a classical piece (it really bugs me that I can't recall which, but I'm trying to find out) that I couldn't really think of danse norvegienne when I heard it :D
    By the way, can you recommend another teacher? Unfortunately Lollo's and my time schedule don't work together