DjangoBooks.com

Django "Sweet Ga Brown" lick at 100%, 75%, 50%

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited May 2010 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 1,855
This is one of my favourite Django licks.... it just sounds so "logical"! :)

I'm pretty sure I've heard him use it in other tunes, but I can't now recall the names... :?

I haven't tried to play it yet, so I don't know how hard it will be... sounds scary though! :shock:

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    OK, I just started working on this pattern, and there's only one way I could figure out how to finger it, and it uses the third finger and pinky as well...

Basically, the way I hear this, you start by fingering a D7 chord at frets one and two, using index, middle and third fingers.

Then you play the open D string and slam the pinky down at the fourth fret, then cross pick through the A, C and F# notes, then slide the whole chord formation up a fret, then repeat it at the next fret and keep doing the same thing seven times... the lowest note in each pattern is actually an open D string "phantom" note which doesn't really work with all the chords as they ascend, but this pattern is played so quickly that our ear can't quite notice that!

That's the way I hear it anyway, perhaps some smart person can improve on my ear?

It is a nice little workout for stretching your pinky each time... and a great sweep-picking pattern to practise for your right hand.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    then cross pick through the A, C and F# notes.

Oopsie, meant to say SWEEP pick, not cross pick.

But you probably knew that if you had actually tried to play it, didn't you?