DjangoBooks.com

When did they record the song I Got Rhythm?

ArnsteinArnstein New
edited March 2010 in History Posts: 43
I'm studying music, and I'm working on a piece about the song I Got Rhythm, and I want to include some Django here! So, does anyone know when they recorded this song?

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Recorded a good few times by Django

1 - Stéphane Grappelli's Hot Four
    Stéphane Grappelli (v); Django Reinhardt (g solo); Joseph Reinhardt (g); Pierre “Baro” Ferret (g); Louis Vola (b)
    1935 October 13 - Paris

2 - Dicky Wells and his Orchestra
    Bill Dillard, Shad Collins, Bill Coleman (tp); Dicky Wells (tb); Django Reinhardt (g solo);
    Richard “Dick” Fullbright (b); Bill Beason (dm)
    Django’s 1937 July 7 Recording Session - Swing Paris

3 - Take 1 - Larry Adler (harmonica)
    Take 2 - acc. by Stéphane Grappelli (p); Django Reinhardt (g solo); Joseph Reinhardt, Eugène Vées (g); Roger Grasset (b)
    Django’s 1938 May 31 Recording Session - Paris

4 - Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli
    Django Reinhardt (g); Stéphane Grappelli (v); Gianni Safred (p); Marco Pecori (b); Aurelio de Carolis (dm)
    Django’s 1949 January-February Recording Session - RAI Studios, Rome

5 - Django Reinhardt (g solo)
    acc. by Ernie Royal (tp); Pierre Guyot (p); Ladislas Czabanyck (b); Christian Garros (dm)
    Django’s 1950 July Recording Session - Radio Luxemburg broadcast, Paris - (unissued)

Robin Nolan makes some interesting points in one of his books about how Django based a good few of his songs on the I Got Rhythm structure, may be worth looking further into
  • ArnsteinArnstein New
    Do you have a good source for that first one? It's not that I don't believe you, but I need a source for my text!
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Arnstein wrote:
    Do you have a good source for that first one? It's not that I don't believe you, but I need a source for my text!
    There are many but probably the best is "Django Reinhardt" by Charles Delaunay.

If you want more details, it was recorded at Studio Polydor, 72-74, boulevard de la Gare and the recording engineer was Rudy Hamburger.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    the recording engineer was Rudy Hamburger.

Teddy, his real name was Rudolf Hamburger, "Rudy" was only a nickname. If you want to learn more about his adventurous life, look here:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Hamburger

Best,
    Barengero
    Barengero wrote:
    Teddy, his real name was Rudolf Hamburger
    Best,
    Barengero

I´m working on a piece about Rudolf Hamburger. Here we have a photograph of Rudolf "Rudy" Hamburger just minutes after the recording session of "I Got Rhythm". Dietrich Schulz-Köhn gave it to me in 1980.

Unfortunately I couldn´t figure out who was the composer of "I Got Rhythm" so far. Can anybody help? Maybe it was mistitled. The original seem to be "Agatha Rhythm". Any help appreciated!!

Best
    Barengero
  • George Gershwin
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Hm. This is what most people think, apparently. I wonder what make them so sure.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I thought you were just joking around, but maybe not? Anyway, the Agatha Rhythm title was a wartime way of circumventing the ban on American jazz...there used to be a topic here with a long list of similar titles, but I can't find it right now.

best,
    Jack
  • If you check out the lyrics you will find that as well as check who has the rights

The Nazi's weren't officially big on Jazz so lots of tunes DR played got renamed during the wartime occupation of France
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Nazi Jazz Regulations
    http://www.shellac.org/wams/wnazi02.html

Rule 4 "So-called jazz compositions may contain at the most 10% syncopation" !!!

They used a standard SS syncopometer for ze enforcement of rule 4