DjangoBooks.com

Hommage a Django concert video!

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited July 2010 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 386
Absolutely wonderful concert tribute to Django by Angelo DeBarre!....and such nice quality
Angelos guitar could be better though.....anyone know the maker?

http://nightofthepurplemoon.blogspot.co ... cques.html

enjoy

Stu Blag

Comments

• neillneill portland ,englandNew
    great stuff - i thought at first that angelo was gonna come out of one of the caravans... :lol:
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    Fantastic! Thanks for posting the link.
  • MaxwellGarcesMaxwellGarces Laguna Niguel, CA.✭✭✭
    He plays an ALD guitar.
    Luthier from france.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    All the ALD guitars i've tried so far have been really nice--i just think this one sounds very tinny--maybe the mikes aren't helping;Angelo is always amazing though whatever hes playing
    Stu
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    stubla wrote:
    Angelo is always amazing though whatever hes playing
    Stu
    Yes an excellent player, one of my favourite gypsy jazz guitarists, but he seldom gets a nice tone out of his guitars. It often sounds very tinny.
  • MaxwellGarcesMaxwellGarces Laguna Niguel, CA.✭✭✭
    that is so true! he seems to not care about tone at all. and he loves to use big tones, which always sound horrible.

but his playing is incredible.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Debarre is deMan, but for me the star of the new Gipsy Unity album is the violin player, a guy called Marius Apostol...tone, phrasing, timing, an excellent player
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Its certainly not his technique to blame for the tone--he just seems to choose(or is given) guitars that aren't that great(the Dell Arte he plays on the Bireli Jazz a vienne dvd is a case in point)Every time you seem him hes playing a different guitar
    Strangly enough its on his 1st cd "Gypsy Guitars" that he gets the best sound--but that cd is a masterpiece hes never really matched since imho.
    Stu
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Thank you for linking us to this rare treat. Very nicely filmed and recorded.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    I think the tone he got on the Impromptu cd was fantastic.. and the version of Vamp from the Q recording is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard..I think that he may be hampered ocassionally by the P.A in a lot of venues. When he played in Bangor a few years ago his tone was sensational. Although his mobile did go off during the gig though and he answered it..the ring tone was La Marseillaise for anyone whos interested 8)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell