DjangoBooks.com

AI coda/corus combo

marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
The AI/Raezer's edge combination has been in common use for archtop, and now it seems people are using it for acoustic too. A guy I play with has this set-up, and I have read Michael's impressions. I wonder about the coda or corus combo used with selmac. It's got to sound great also, but my guess is that it is not as loud or punchy, based on the speaker configuration. At the same time I would guess that it may sound "better" with microphone and perhaps other non-piezo setups, like dyn G. Also, I am guessing that the sound is maybe a little more acoustic sounding. I did not find anything when I searched this forum.

Mike

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Mike,

Personally I would go with an Acousitc Image Clarus amp with a Raezer's Edge Speaker (NY8 is my choice). The RE speakers are on a whole other level then what you get in the AI combo amps like the Corus. The Corus is amazing because it is so light weight (22lbs) and has three speakers (10", 5", and a 1") as well as an 800 watt head! WAY LOUDER than anything else out there...Unico 180 Watts, AER 60 watts...not even close. But if you care more about sound quality and don't mind carrying a little more weight the AI/RE combo is a lot better (around 30lbs).

'm
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I would add that for an acoustic guitar, you want an extended range Raezer's Edge cabinet.
    The NY-8ER is excellent for a Selmac. If you are mostly playing a flattop or acoustic archtop, the Stealth-10ER or the Stealth12ER might be a better choice (though more weight to carry to the gig).

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
    I've actually got a scratch and dent Stealth 10ER that will be up for sale shortly. Will be a good deal!
  • afsalvoafsalvo New
    Any more of those scratch and dent 10ers left?
    sorry, that sold a long time ago.
  • afsalvoafsalvo New
    Yes, of course. Thought I'd give it a shot!
  • shegashega Colorado✭✭✭
    I would add that for an acoustic guitar, you want an extended range Raezer's Edge cabinet.
    The NY-8ER is excellent for a Selmac. If you are mostly playing a flattop or acoustic archtop, the Stealth-10ER or the Stealth12ER might be a better choice (though more weight to carry to the gig).

Cheers,

Marc
    http://www.hotclubpacific.com

Sorry to bump on old thread, but I am wondering, Marc, why you recommend the Stealth 10ER over the NY8ER for flattop/archtop? I ask because that is precisely what I have, and was thinking about downsizing to the NY8ER to lose the weight...

thanks
    shega
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Shega,,

My experience is that the NY 8 lacks bass response necessary for good acoustic flattop amplification. It works perfect with the Selmac, where bass response is lacking anyway, and it works pretty good with an acoustic archtop, though the increased bass response of a Twin 8 or Stealth12 really fattens up the tone for that classic jazz guitar sound.

I own three Raezer's Edge cabs. For selmacs (stimer or bigtone) I use the NY8ER. For arch tops (acoustic or electric) I use the Twin8. For acoustic flattops (dreadnaught or 000), I use the Stealth12ER.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Marc
  • shegashega Colorado✭✭✭
    Shega,,

My experience is that the NY 8 lacks bass response necessary for good acoustic flattop amplification. It works perfect with the Selmac, where bass response is lacking anyway, and it works pretty good with an acoustic archtop, though the increased bass response of a Twin 8 or Stealth12 really fattens up the tone for that classic jazz guitar sound.

I own three Raezer's Edge cabs. For selmacs (stimer or bigtone) I use the NY8ER. For arch tops (acoustic or electric) I use the Twin8. For acoustic flattops (dreadnaught or 000), I use the Stealth12ER.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Marc

that really does help, Marc. Thank you for your reply. One final question: I play Selmac, acoustic archtop, ukulele, and Martin flat top & I sing. do you think the Stealth10ER is a good choice for these?

It has been outstanding for vocals and everything else, but I just haven't enough knowledge of electronics/acoustics to know if this is a good one purpose amp...

Have you tried the new Clarus+? I have the older version (2R series III) and am wondering if the updated model is significant (I am not going to buy it, just wonder what they did with it...)

again, thanks
    shega
    Shega,

I have tried the Clarus +. It sounded just like my series 3 Clarus but had more headroom (It is essentially a repackaged Focus). I like the vented case. My Clarus gets hot on long gigs. One of these days, I'll drill some holes or something.

Regarding the Stealth 10ER, I once had a Stealth 10 (Non ER) and found it to sound exactly like my Twin 8. The Tolex was in better shape on my Twin 8 so I kept that one. As I have never had, nor played through a Stealth 10ER, I cannot render an opinion regarding its suitability for anything, but as Rich Raezer's (RIP) designs are great, I imagine it is a great cabinet and quite versatile.