DjangoBooks.com

Listening suggestions needed!

periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
edited February 2010 in Repertoire Posts: 140
Hello all,

Who are some artists that were either contemporaries of Django or post-Django, but still prior to Stochelo, Bireli, etc.? I know Tchan-Tchou and Matelo Ferret. Any other suggestions?

Also, who are some artists that used favinos, instead of selmers (and their clones)?

Thanks!

Comments

• Listening suggestions:

* Baro Ferret
    * Jacques Montagne
    * Joseph Reinhardt!
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    edited February 2010 Posts: 386
    Baro Ferret was the most gifted of Djangos followers imo.An incredible composer of waltzes but not really a full on jazz player per se;and for me the great Henri Crolla who inherited the poetic side heard in the solo Improvisations of Django--again his jazz playing is not as convincing as his own neo classical pieces which owe more to french chanson and the classical composer Poulenc but beautiful stuff all the same.
    I find it interesting that when left to his own devices Djangos own solo pieces actually owed very little to Jazz.
    Stu
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    Don't forget Bousquet: lesser known but an amazing player IMHO.

-p
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    In addition to the above, you could check out Sarane Ferret, and for post Django/pre Stochelo, see the many players on the Musik Deutscher Zigeuner box set...Schnuckenack Reinhardt, Hans'che Weiss, etc. Incredible stuff that both owes to Django and is something all its own.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    For Django contemporary, I would have a look at

- Oscar Aleman
    - Albert Ferreri

and the various accompaniments to

- Michael Warlop (violin)
    - Tony Murena (accordion)
    - Gus Visuer (accordion)

not gypsy but...
    - Eddie Lang
    - whoever that guitarist was with the Mills brothers (excellent)
  • For guitar my favourite is Oscar Aleman who mostly played a National resonator guitar in his earlier stuff and to get a sense of the style and phrasings I love listening to Stephane Grapelli
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed