DjangoBooks.com

How do the special Gypsy type strings sound different?

Are they more mellow trying to cut down on harshness in tone?

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Everyone hears things differently. You are not likely to get the right answer from a question like that. The Argentine strings are silver plated copper wound rather than nickel wound (like an electric guitar would have) or bronze (like a standard acoustic guitar). Maybe you can tell us what you think the difference would be?
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Yeah... like Jon said - it's a broad question you're asking - I'm not sure how to respond other than to say: "they sound right"

Well, OK - if I had to put more specific descriptors around the reasons I use them, I'd say: (take liberal grains of salt at this point...)

It seems to me like they "distort right" .... again... a poor descriptor at best - but there is this really nice distortion characteristic that seems "right" with real Gypsy strings and not with others I've tried. You can play clear and bell like (softly) on these strings, but when you dig in - they get this nice throaty .....Grrrrrowl..... characteristic. All things held equal, the distortion I've gotten from bright/phosphor/nickel is more of a varying degree of "Brapppp" when the strings start to kiss the frets... I'm guessing this comes from the relatively soft silver coating vs. the relatively hard bronze/nickel.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I second the Grrrrrowling,Brapppieness comments by Bob

Josh
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Bob Holo wrote:
    I'm not sure how to respond other than to say: "they sound right"

I'll second that emotion. My Gitane came with bronze strings and I was immediately disappointed with the sound... until I strung it with a pack or Savarez strings. Sounds great now.

I'll add that silver oxidizes faster than the other metals mentioned, so these strings don't seem to last as long as most others. Makes me wonder if an Elixr-type silver string would be possible.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    djadam wrote:
    I'll add that silver oxidizes faster than the other metals mentioned, so these strings don't seem to last as long as most others. Makes me wonder if an Elixr-type silver string would be possible.

You might check out the Galli Gypsy Jazz sets; according to the packaging, they're "covered with a special protective coating which guarantees a long life". Michael sells them in the shop here.

Best,
    Jack.
    another thing you can do is just keep your hands DRY by toting around a rag and wipe your hands and the strings off occasionally...
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Jack wrote:
    You might check out the Galli Gypsy Jazz sets; according to the packaging, they're "covered with a special protective coating which guarantees a long life". Michael sells them in the shop here.

Best,
    Jack.

Are all of the Galli strings coated? I couldn't tell from the description. Has anyone used them and can comment on their sound? Have you tried the Gypsy Silk & Steel?
    many people like them. there is not a reason to comment on their sound since it is different for everyone. its your job to try out the different brands and decide for yourself. ultimately that is what everyone does anyways.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi...the GSB and GSL series have the coating.

The VO27 strings have been popualr with Dutch Gypsies for decades. The R500 strings are probably the best deal out there!

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi...the GSB and GSL series have the coating.

The VO27 strings have been popualr with Dutch Gypsies for decades. The R500 strings are probably the best deal out there!

'm

I use the VO27s and the GSBs a lot and like them quite a bit; the R500s I tried, while a great deal, seemed more of a 'get what you pay for' string. They seemed to lack nuance. Still, for the price, you can't NOT try them.

Best,
    Jack.