DjangoBooks.com

Looking for reviews of Castelluccia budget guitar

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I know a guy who has one of Dorado's guitars, it appears to be a Busato Dhole, it has Dorado's name written on the body just besides the fretboard, with what could have been a ball point pen!!
    Fantastic guitar! Looks a lot like the one in question.
  • MetroMetro New
    lgenoni, Thanks a lot!

I want buy Swing BD?
    Dear musicants, what do you think about Swing BD model?

Link - http://www.castelluccia.fr/home.php?pg=fg&fic=g&id_mod=158&id_prod=8

daphne_bd_face9.jpg
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Busato D hole are quite rare but some do look a lot like Casteluccia (same "rounded" D hole shape, very similar shape of the fingerboard extension but less rounded). I did take a quick look at the video on you tube, and from the shape of both tailpiece ad headstock, I would still say Castelluccia. By the way, it would be the less ornated Busato in the history of this maker!
  • MetroMetro New
    Does anyone has a model Swing BD of Castellicia guitar?
  • MetroMetro New
    Maybe who have a Daphne model?
  • lgenonilgenoni ✭✭
    I suppose the castelluccia guitars are really rare out of frenche, italy and some other european country.

For what I understand most people here are from USA, so it is unlikelly that thay own a castelluccia that is not a top range guitar like the django castell or the david Reinhardt models, (btw, this is just because to buy one, mostrly you have to go to rue de constantinople in Paris). personally I think it's a pity, since castelluccia guitars are very nice.
  • alik3954alik3954 New
    lgenoni :

I'm looking to buy a Castelluccia from J.C. I contacted him and he agreed to ship to USA. Since, it's risky I wanted to get a feedback from an actual owner. I know the Swing model (which probably 80% will be my choice due to price) is great. I have heard the mp3 sample on the website and also the one Ayala plays on the youtube.

I saw in one of your posts that you also have played sweet chorus. Is that true that the neck is different from swing? I read somewhere that from Gypsy to Tears the neck is old style flat top and after that the necks are modern. Is this true?

Assuming I have the money, are Tears model and Sweet Chorus 350EUR and 550EUR better than swing? Is it worth paying for the "sound difference"?

Your comment will be incredibly valuable to me, since I am in US with no access to Paris.

Thanks
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I met J.Castellucia four years ago. Tried a couple of his guitars and I really liked them.
    He said he does all the tops himself but on the lower end models the rest of the guitar is made by one of his assistants. Hope that helps...
  • pa_tpa_t ✭✭
    Bob Holo wrote:
    Yep, it's an old Castelluccia.
    Yep. I also do confirm: Dorado Schmitt's guitar on this video is a mid '50 Castelluccia. I own exactly the same one; they often had no label (or luthier's name), but this model is easily identifiable. Some of them sound really fine (if you like vintage sound, of course).

I also confirm what frater says about 50'ies Castellucia models playability: their necks had no truss rod. One consequence of this is that necks are rather BIG (but if you are used to fat necks or if you like singing logs or musical trunks, it won't be a problem :wink: ...).
    The other consequence is that most of them have a bent or twisted neck, that must be corrected and/or reinforced by a luthier. And it is an expensive operation :? .
    Dorado's one has been fitted with a trussrod.

P.S. Sorry for my approximative english...
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Bob Holo wrote:
    Yep, it's an old Castelluccia.
    Yep. I also do confirm: Dorado Schmitt's guitar on this video is a mid '50 Castelluccia.
    However, Dorado no longer owns it:
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2010/Mar/28/il/hawaii3280312.html
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles