DjangoBooks.com

Mike Reinhardt

AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
edited August 2005 in Welcome Posts: 522
Ok my friends, here's a little post especially for Dennis and Ted (who are already familiar with this guitarist).

A few days ago at the IGGF in Gossington, I performed in a duo setting with my friend Mike Reinhardt from France. For those of you who aren't familiar with his great playing, check out this link.

As a little bonus, you'll hear Bireli play some marvelous bass solos.....

http://www.reinhardt-quartet.com/Video.htm

Enjoy!
Andreas

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    thanks for the vid andreas! his right hand looks so much like benson's! another guy i like is rocky (not the garcia) i keep forgetting his last name, his playing is also phenomenal (angelo debarre is constantly praising him)... but he is like wasso grunholz and only plays for the church

maybe you should release a duet disc with mike, andreas!
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    "Maybe you should release a duet disc with mike, andreas!"

That sounds like a damn fine idea. I am personally glad to see gypsy cats going for a more straight ahead type thing it is the best of both worlds in my oppinion. I agree Dennis his right hand does resemble George Benson's. I can also really hear his influence in Mike's playing (especially in that Donna Lee footage).
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
    wow, thanks a lot for the videos! I really like Mikes style.

What is the name of the song in the Bireli and Mike duet video?

The new Bireli quote, "ahhhhhhhh, FUCK!"

Damn, bireli is awesome on the bass. I love to see those guys laughing out loud while bireli is taking his bass solo. :D
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    How does one go about starting to play the jazzy, Bireli, alla Benson way that Mike and yourself have got down so amazingly?

How do you practice this stuff, what tunes would you recomend practicing and which players would you recomend transcribing?

Someone like Rocky, who I have seen perform in le Chope before he became very religious and is an absolute phenomenal player, would he have got into this style having already mastered traditional gypsy jazz, and would it have been Bireli who he would initially have started to learn from?

By the way your set with Mike at Gossington was a real insperation, a duo album with him is a great idea, I am sure Jon Larsen would be up for it.
    ahh robin, one could ask the same thing about your chordal playing...

when i was at herve's house, i was watching a video of rocky jamming with paulus, mozes, matcho and a few other dutch players

man i wish i had that video... all that will be settled when ritary comes to montreal next year, i'll have herve bring his mini DV tapes haha

what i find amazing are people who can play so many different styles more than convincingly like bireli and andreas, hats off to you andreas!
  • AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Thanks Dennis & Robin. You're both good guitarists and musicians so I'm happy to hear that you like what I'm doing at the moment:)

My next album will probably be a solo guitar-album but maybe I should invite Mike for a few numbers?!

To answers some of Robins questions. I think that some of the gypsies (like Mike etc.) prefer the american style instead of the pure Django-style.
    They discover Joe Pass and Benson but you can still hear their gypsy-heritage because they grew up surrounded by players like Bireli Lagrene and Joe Bawelino(who's got influences from both worlds).
    Some young players like Noe Reinhardt (and myself hopefully..) can switch between the styles and knows both vocabularys, it's like knowing two different languages.
    I also heard from Matthieu Chatelain that Serge Krief and Christopher Lartillieux are currently very influenced by Frank Gambale and Allan Holdsworth...
    Check out this guy that I've been in touch with recently:
    http://www.manuschweiss.de
    Listen especially to Nuages, some good bop lines in there:)

I think that Bireli's albums Standards and Live in Marciac are very good if you'd like to pick up some nice lines and ideas. Joe Pass and George Benson CD's are of course also very good to study.
    One important thing to practice is playing over chords-changes that are a bit more "modern" than the Hot Club-reportoire. Here are a few:
    Have you met Miss Jones
    Stella by Starlight
    Tenderly
    Days of Wine and Roses
    There's no greater love
    All the things you are
    Alone Together
    and so on....
    Best Regards
    Andreas
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Andreas,

I think thats all great advice, off I go to practice.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Andreas, Awesome footage. I really love that tune. It is a jam favorite around the University Jazz guys. I really dig most of the stuff Sonny Rollins did anyway. What guitar are you playing by the way it looks just like my 175.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
    very cool playing! i also recognize a lick that ulf uses all the time in your intro... did you get it from him ? or do you know where it comes from?