DjangoBooks.com

How to remove/disolve super glue gel from sound board

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
Hi, I recently glued the k and k pure maccaferri transducers to the inside of a DELL ARTE and want to remove them. The pickup doesn't sound right through my PA and preamp, so I had just as soon punt. Help please ? :cry:

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Well... acetone is the solvent for methyl-2 cyanoacrylate (super glue) but I don't know how risky it will be for you, because it can take a long time to penetrate... you sort of have to keep working at the surface of the glue joint to make progress... and I'm not sure what it will do to the pickup or glue joints on your guitar. Have you tried calling K&K for advice? They've probably done this type of removal and may have suggestions.

And don't breathe too deeply while you're working with it... open windows... outdoor if possible... respirator if you really want to be safe. I mean, supposedly it's not toxic (it is the main ingredient in fingernail polish remover) but anything that can disolve fiberglass... epoxy... and superglue... well let's just say I'm not going to start doing shots of it any time soon ;-)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    bob , thanks man. you are a great resource to us in this forum and a luthier to boot.. you're the wholo package man!
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    K + K said removing it would destroy so it might be best to just leave it and see if can be used for certain things.
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    You could just resign yourself to leaving the actual transducers stuck to the top and removing everything else. In other words just cut the wire right at the transducers. You could always try get them out completely some time in the future. On the other hand, you could leave enough wire to give you something to pull on when trying to remove them.
    Mike
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    For all of the trouble it took to install those transducers, and the problems with removing them - I think I'd just leave it alone. It's not going to necessarily hurt anything to keep them intact, is it? I mean, just don't plug in, right. Shouldn't diminish the sound quality. What might not sound right to you, might actually sound good to someone else. In any case, I'd sell the guitar before I'd go trying to remove it with solvent, or cut the wiring.
    Holo had a great recommendation to contact K and k; they suggested that I had a phase problem and combined with other advice and Michaels FKN epic post on how "this pickup works/sounds with that amp" I am either going to :

1) leave things alone
    2) carefully pop the transducers off with a flat razor blade (K and K advice)

The pickup did sound good through my amp, just not my PA/preamp combo.
  • Dr. HallDr. Hall Green Bay, WisconsinNew
    Could you run it through your amp then into your pa? Maybe your amp's pre-amp is better suited to the K&K than your other pre-amp you're using with the pa. Before you do the tricky pickup removal, you might try out several pre-amps at a local music store and see if the pickup sounds better through those into a pa.

I know the folks at K&K are big on the phase advice, and I've discovered how important phase reverse switches can be on many a gig. I can't live without it now unless I'm playing an all-acoustic gig. But I'm not sure phase alone can make a bad sounding pickup sound great. It will take away the rumble and most of the feedback, but it won't work miracles for the pickup's tone.
    -Stefan
    Excellent point Dr. thanks.