DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Radio - Nonstop!!!

pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
edited August 2009 in Welcome Posts: 140
Can get enough GJ - or tired of listening to your 1000+ tune GJ iPOD collection?

I discovered a 100% GJ radio station on "Live365" - an internet radio station (see http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/director ... 43&I1.y=13). The station is called "Hot Club Radio" and it is broadcast from Duisburg, Germany 7 x 24.

With advertisements, this is free on normal computers and about $70 a year for the VIP version with no advertisements and improved sound quality. The VIP version can also play on mobile devices (Blackberry, iPhone, etc.). I popped for the VIP version and find it to be a terrific adjunct to my own vast GJ file collection. The station includes a lot of players that I have not yet heard of - and also many variations of GJ that border on other genres (e.g., bluegrass and funk GJ). Of course, the master gets his due share of playing time as well along with all the other regulars that we know and love.

For a totally immersive GJ experience, I plug my Blackberry Curve (with unlimited data) into my car iPOD adapter on long commutes.

Caution: this station will drive your wife, girlfriends, and pets crazy - so only play in private or with other Hotheads :-)

Highly recommended!!!
I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!

Comments

pmg wrote:
    Caution: this station will drive your wife, girlfriends, and pets crazy - so only play in private or with other Hotheads :-)

:lol::lol: So true !
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Suggest you not upgrade to VIP unless you really like Live365. Be wary of the "Free VIP Trial". In my experience, once you give Live365 your CC, renewal is automatic without notification. After the charge is made, you have only a short period to cancel, easily missed if you don't watch your CC account like a hawk. And in my experience, Live 365 cancellation was very difficult.

Craig
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Also try Pandora on your computer/iPhone/etc...free, great selection, the ability to learn what you like/dislike, AND last time I checked our own Vic was working for them, so you can be sure the Gypsy Jazz collection is growing...just used it for vacation, and left my ipod at home.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Jack wrote:
    Also try Pandora on your computer/iPhone/etc...free, great selection, the ability to learn what you like/dislike, AND last time I checked our own Vic was working for them, so you can be sure the Gypsy Jazz collection is growing...just used it for vacation, and left my ipod at home.

Ditto on Pandora - great service, and I've discovered a lot of players and bands I'd never heard of before.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Yeah Pandora ( and not just for GJ) has saved my IT working sanity time and time again!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • Unfortunately Pandora now seems to be only available to USA. I tried and got a apologetic notice saying that as I appear to be a Canadian IPA not available.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    edited August 2009 Posts: 140
    I've been listening to Pandora for a couple of weeks and really like it! The free version is almost as good as the VIP Live 365 Hot Club Radio station with OK sound and relatively few commercials. Hot Club Radio does appear to have a larger playlist available and will also offer up more unknown artists and "out there" flavors of GJ. Both are better than either!!!

Anybody care to recommend a streaming audio capture utility to help build up the offline library?
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
    dobropilot wrote:
    Unfortunately Pandora now seems to be only available to USA. I tried and got a apologetic notice saying that as I appear to be a Canadian IPA not available.

That's really a shame. Licensing issue?
    -Paul

• Je ne sais pas
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    dobropilot wrote:
    Je ne sais pas

Yes, unfortunately, it is a licensing issue.

http://blog.pandora.com/pandora/archives/2007/05/canada.html
    Pandora wrote:
    May 14, 2007
    Canada

Much to our chagrin, on the heels of our being forced to block virtually our entire international listening audience, we now have to add Canada to the list (beginning May 16th). We had been hopeful that the licensing situation with our Northern friends might have some hope of imminent resolution. However, after a tough week, and in the wake of the substantial attention the blocking has clearly brought to this issue, it's been made clear to us that we cannot continue streaming into Canada.

No need to reiterate just how difficult this is. It's just a terrible thing for music that there's not even a licensing structure available that would allow a webcaster to stream legally outside the U.S.

I'll reiterate our commitment to fighting as hard as we can to fix this absurd problem - we only hope that reform will come soon so that we can get back to the business of listening and discovery.

My sincerest apologies.

Tim (Founder)

-and to the question, where is the licensing issue stemming from,
    Pandora wrote:
    Everyone -

Thanks for sending us such wonderful notes. It means an awful lot to us - even if it just makes it harder.

Wanted to answer a couple questions that seem to be popping up.

1. Is this a US or a Canadian issue? The short answer to that is that it's a Canadian issue. There is simply NO license currently available to stream legally into Canada, for anyone. Not just Pandora. Int'l law mandates that all performers be paid and there is no body that has the rights to grant and administer this fee. So a 'label deal' doesn't actually do the trick. You need the equivalent of the DMCA/SoundExchange combo that exists in the US.

Quel dommage - I hope this gets resolved for you - Pandora really is a fantastic service. Listening to my GJ mix right now....just finished Django's "Eveline," Integrale Vol.15a (1947: Gipsy With A Song), now onto Bireli Lagrene's "Songe D'Autumne," Gipsy Project & Friends.
    -Paul