DjangoBooks.com

For Sale: Manouche Modeles Jazz and Orchestre "Morenos&

Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
edited June 2009 in Classifieds Posts: 1,002
Serial numbers 64 and 65. Oval hole and d-hole, both in near mint condition, complete with Morenos autograph on each label. I sell these reluctantly, but there is another guitar I want that requires parting with both. Both have terrific volume, competing on equal tems with my VRB and Favino. Both have near perfect intonation all the way up the neck, better than the Favino, in fact. Both play well with the action low or high, but higher gives much better volume and tone.

The oval hole was used by Samson Schmitt for Djangofest 2008 at Byrdland in NYC. He offered to buy it then, but at the time I wasn't selling. And yes, I am trying to reach him now. His comment, " I love this guitar!" The tone is spot on, exactly in the same direction as my VRB, just not as refined. But surprisingly close. It had a full fret level a year or so ago and plays perfectly!

This particular d-hole was reviewed by the first owner on this forum. You can find it by doing a search, because I don't know how add a link here (Ernie, if you know how, will you attach it, since you wrote it?). Besides having exceptional volume, it has a nice vintage quality to the tone that I really like. Frets have not needed leveling.

These guitars are great for gigging, and can hold their own in jams with much more expensive pieces. Both come with Hiscox flight cases. As I said, I thought long and hard about selling these and just decided to sell them yesterday, but with the VRB and Favino, and with some vintage pieces on the way, and with us moving into a smaller place soon, something had to give. I am eager to sell them quickly.

Asking $1300 for the oval hole and $1250 for the d-hole, shipping not included. But if you have a serious offer, talk to me. I can deliver free to anyone going to Django in June.

Pics are attached. I will try to get better ones, but these were all I had handy. As I said, this was a sudden and unexpected decision. If interested, please send me a PM.
I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.

Comments

• Pugs47Pugs47 New
    Hi Michael,
    My review of the d-hole was purged from the net when Barr Noir "secured" the US distribution rights. You may want to contact him or Robert in NM.
    Ernie
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Too bad, that was a well-written and thorough review. I thought I saw it a few months ago, but who knows? It's gone now.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Hey Michael,

Your Manouches look great! As you know, I'm not in the market because I've already got one, but some lucky buyer(s) will be very happy with yours. I know you have taken good care of them.

Good luck, and see you at Django in June!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Thanks. Yes, I'll be sorry to see them go. They took me from Sagas to really fine hand-made guitars and now vintage stuff. To me, they are the perfect transition guitars between beginner level and quality hand-made instuments. See you in a few weeks.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I agree, great transitional guitars, and really pretty darn good if they're what one can afford. My bandmate is trying mine out, and it's listed locally, but if he doesn't buy it, I might wind up keeping it as a spare. As a wise person once said, "You can never have too many guitars." Wish my wife could understand that. She just doesn't get it.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    I agree, great transitional guitars, and really pretty darn good if they're what one can afford. My bandmate is trying mine out, and it's listed locally, but if he doesn't buy it, I might wind up keeping it as a spare. As a wise person once said, "You can never have too many guitars." Wish my wife could understand that. She just doesn't get it.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    The D-hole is now "under contract" and should be sold this week. I will try to get clearer pics of the oval hole soon showing the bear claw, and I would be happy to bring to Django in June if someone is seriously interested interested in trying it out.
    Both guitars are now sold. Thanks to all who were interested. Thanks especially to the two who bought. I was sad to see them go, but both have found good homes.