DjangoBooks.com

Loop vs. ball end

zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
Michael, as I want to order another book from your store, I would like also to buy Argentine Strings.

My very simple question IS - what type should I take for Gitane guitar (I've not got the guitar itself :wink: so no way to know, but I would like to put right strings on Gitane immediately, so I have to get strings before or together with the instrument :) ...)

loop end or ball end?

What are arguments for and contra each type?

Thanks a lot for all!
Anton

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Anton,

The choice between loop and ball end is merely a matter of preference. It doesn't change the sound or performance of the string. I prefer loop ends because they're easier to get on and off, especially after breaking a string.

The real issue is string gauge. Until the 80s or so there was only the light 10 gauge set. So most people used that regardless of the size of the guitar. Now, most players use the 10 gauge set (1510 or 1610) for larger scale length guitars (i.e. the oval hole models). The 11 gauge set (1510MF or 1610MF) is used for the shorter scale models (i.e. D-hole models).

Some players like Stochelo Rosenberg and Jimmy Rosenberg use a 10 gauge set and then beef up the high end by putting a 11 on the E and a 15 on the B. I do this and find that it really improves the tone on the treble strings....makes them sound really FAT!

In the Netherlands most of the Gypsies use the Galli VO27 strings. Stochelo Rosenberg, Fapy Lafertin, and many other use them. They're nice strings and cheaper then the Argentines.

Good luck!

'm
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    Hi, Michael!

Well, addition 4$ (ie less than a dollar per each complect) doesn't matter for me, so I'll choose Argentines nevertheless.

But, another thing - is the use of 11's on large-scale guitars so rare now? For the moment (reading this and UK forums) I have an opinion that it's more like player's choice, and there is no such simple (almost 100%) statistic, as you've written - just depending on guitar's scale... So, my idea was to start with 11's (as Gitanes have rather small action, and as I like to use high-gauge strings) and (may be) go for 10's only after changing the bridge for higher action...

Cheers,
    Anton
    ... And when do you expect single G and D Argentines?

Anton
    Hi Anton,

What I said before reflects the traditional set up that most Gypsies use. For a long scale oval hole guitar usually the action is between 3mm and 4mm at the 12 fret. The higher action necessitates the use of the lighter 10 gauge strings. Every Gypsy I studied with set their guitar up this way.

However, it has become fashionable among many non-Gypsy players to use lower action in combination with the heavier 11 gauge strings. It's a different sound but it works for some people.

'm
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    definitely the loops ends will save me at least 20 seconds in string change time, which on stage, can make a difference...
    Michael Horowitz wrote:
    For a long scale oval hole guitar usually the action is between 3mm and 4mm at the 12 fret.

Sorry, I don't understand

1. 3-4mm with what gauge of the strings?
    2. if I could be able to have action of 3-4mm with standard Gitane's bridge?
    I've just read again that perfect Argentine lights vs. extra lights topic http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=189, so only one questions remains

- if I could be able to have action of 3-4mm with STANDARD Gitane DG-255 bridge??
    I don't own a Gitane, but from what I hear they ship with bridges that are way too low. You'll have to shim it up...ideally you'll get a nice wood like rosewood and use that for a shim. But in a pinch, popsicle sticks or credit cards work. There are many photos of Django where he's got a match book under the bridge!

'm
    Hi, Michael!
    I hear they ship with bridges that are way too low

Yes - I've read here a lot of times about it, but with no exact numbers, that's why I've asked. OK, the idea about shim is nice, and later I'm going to change the standard bridge with Dupont No 2 or 3 (or something like this). So - high action and 10's - that's our way! :D

Thanks a lot!
    Anton