DjangoBooks.com

RIP Hans Meelen

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited November 2008 in Welcome Posts: 2,159
Hans Meelen the fellow who made Stochelo and Jimmy Rosenberg famous passed away last week (11/11/2008). He was instrumental in helping a whole bunch of gypsy jazz musicians out. It was thank to him that wawau played samois in 2003.

That's sad news man. I remember meeting him for the first time in samois in 2004, then every other year until he stopped going in 2007

what a friendly guy

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Really Sad news.
    thanks for passing that along Dennis.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Dennis,
    really sad news, he did an awful lot of work for the Gypsy Jazz community, I remember him from the breakthrough days of the Rosenberg Trio in Holland, he was a true gentleman and will be sadly missed
    Frans
    +RIP+
  • NolanNolan Amsterdam✭✭✭✭
    He was the Godfather of Gypsy jazz and helped bring gypsy guitarists Stochelo and Jimmy Rosenberg plus others including myself to greater audiences.He was a very close friend of mine and his spirit will continue to inspire me with my music.

Hasta lluego Roepeno...

ps. Roepeno menas Silver in the sinti tongue and was one of his many nicknames

there is an obiturary on the www.djangostaion.com site

robin
    www.GypsyJazzSecrets.com
    www.Gypsyjazzworldpassport.com
  • NolanNolan Amsterdam✭✭✭✭
    www.GypsyJazzSecrets.com
    www.Gypsyjazzworldpassport.com
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Wow...this is really sad. Really nice guy and so dedicated to this music...I spent a lot of time with him in A'dam. Sorry to hear this.

'm
  • SimoniusSimonius New
    very sad.. he really helped the rosenbergs up in a very stylish way.. they were not just a quick way to make money, he was passionate about it.. and good at his job. he will be remembered!