DjangoBooks.com

Argentines top 2 strings

I was wondering if the top 2 strings on argentine strings (E and B) are just plain steel strings and can be replaced with regular D'adarios. I break them all the time and cannot afford a new set of argentines every three days. Any Comments?

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Sure - they're just steel. I find D'Addarios a little stiffer, but it may just be my imagination - and they're not a lot stiffer. If the difference in feel bothers you, you can buy Argentine single strings. I think Michael sells them here at a bulk discount.

But if you're really breaking them every three days, then there's something wrong with your rig or your right hand technique. Check your stringpath. Check for burrs (that might cut loops of the strings) on the tailpiece where the strings attach. Also check your zero fret for a sharp nick or edge - and also your tuner pegs .. the edges of the holes through which the string goes.

Then check the wooden bits - are the nut or bridge excessively sharp or pinching the string.

If all that is OK, then you might want to take a look at your right hand technique.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    you may also consider getting a gauge higher for the high E.
  • FernandoFernando New
    Thanks guys. I think the guitar and everything Bob told me to check is ok, it's just that I recently got into this style and I am literally putting 8 hours a day of intense practice. That plus sweaty hands... kills the strings, ha ha...
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty common for players to swap out the high E and B of a light set with an .11 and .15 makes them a little hardier

And Bob it's not your imagination D'addario uses a hex core(wound strings) and so the string is stiffer...I think they last a bit longer too.

The downside of all the silver coated copper strings is definitely the short playing life ...I'm surprised no one's offered them coated yet.

The elixors that Stochelo is endorsing is the closest yet...but it's not a silvered copper string, I did notice he had good ol Saverez at DFNW....but he was on a borrowed axe.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    If you're breaking strings at the bridge a good trick is to "paint" the slots with a graphite pencil.
    It really helps. You can also mix the graphite powder with a little vaseline to make it stick.
    I used to break a lot of strings and this solved it for me.