DjangoBooks.com

A couple of questions about the Gitane DG-300

Hi everybody,

I'm considering buying this guitar although I haven't played it yet. There's no shops nearby that have it in stock, but I will travel a bit further to one to try it out before I'm really going to buy it.

Now, I've seen Jimmy Rosenberg play this guitar a lot, which I think is strange. On almost every recent performance he has used this guitar, even though he has his own signature model with Dell'Arte (which, I might add, goes for about $5000 if I'm not mistaking). That is a little weird to me. There's a video of him playing with Robin Nolan on Youtube where he has his signature model and another guitar laying behind him, but he's playing the Gitane! I've also seen his brother Nomy play multiple times and he uses this guitar too. Picture:

IMG_0976_std.jpg

I assume Jimmy Rosenberg has some more very fine guitars. Yet he consistently performs with this Chinese factory instrument. I figured if it's good enough for him, it MUST be good enough for me.

But that's not really important. I was looking at the 255 first, but I think the 300 has a much nicer finnish. And it fits inside my budget.

Ofcourse though, I don't want to spend too much money. I'm a university student and these are my savings.. So I wonder if anyone can tell me: how does the 300 compare to the 255 in sound, playability, material?

And about the price: here in Holland, the 255 goes for €800, the 300 goes for €1200. That is $1,015.92 (255) and $1,523.88 (300). I've checked with a lot of music stores and this is as cheap as it gets. The websites don't say it includes a case (which I need), so I guess they're not included.

On this website it's 250 ($665) and 300($976) and that's including a case. So including a case I'm paying about 600 dollars more for the 300 than Americans (not including shipping). What's the deal? I know there's price differences with a lot of music instruments, but paying 50% more sounds crazy to me.

So let's say I was to buy this 300, would I be better off ordering it here and having it shipped to Europe? And what would that cost, and would it be recommendable (considering damage that may occur, or service)?

And last, is it a good idea at all to be looking at Gitane's, considering my budget is between €500 and €1500?

Thanks in advance,
Simon.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    [quote]
    Now, I've seen Jimmy Rosenberg play this guitar a lot, which I think is strange. On almost every recent performance he has used this guitar, even though he has his own signature model with Dell'Arte (which, I might add, goes for about $5000 if I'm not mistaking). That is a little weird to me. [/quote]

It's well known that endorsements by Gypsies are a total joke...most Gypsies get their free signature model and then immediately turn around and sell it. Then they find the next luthier who's willing to give them a free guitar and then do it all again.

I heard someone just gave him the Saga so he'd have something to play since he sold all his other guitars.

[quote]
    I assume Jimmy Rosenberg has some more very fine guitars. Yet he consistently performs with this Chinese factory instrument. I figured if it's good enough for him, it MUST be good enough for me.
    [/quote]

No, he has no other guitars to my knowledge. I guarantee you he put zero thought into the Saga. He'll play anything, and sound great regardless!

[quote]
    So let's say I was to buy this 300, would I be better off ordering it here and having it shipped to Europe? And what would that cost, and would it be recommendable (considering damage that may occur, or service)?[/quote]

We've shipped loads of Gitanes to Europe. You'll save a lot of money because of the exchange rate. The shipments are insured so don't worry about damage.

[quote]And last, is it a good idea at all to be looking at Gitane's, considering my budget is between €500 and €1500?[/quote]

You should seriously consider the Latcho Drom Manouche models...much better in my opinion. They don't need any setup work (which the Sagas do),and they sound much more traditional. Bright and dry, just like and old Selmer.

See:

• SimoniusSimonius New
    Thanks for your reply. Interesting. I looked at the Latcho Drom Manouche models too, but it seems they aren't directly available in shops here, so I can't try them, and I don't like buying a guitar that I haven't held and played. I'm going to check out the Gitane's as soon as possible. However I think I will be buying the guitar here, the shipping sounds fine. What would shipping to Europe add to the price?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Simonius wrote:
    . However I think I will be buying the guitar here, the shipping sounds fine. What would shipping to Europe add to the price?

$150
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Djangobooks has the best prices definitely... A set of Argentines in Paris is $10 Euros! Here. $8 US... I believe a lot of french guys order their strings from Michael!

Plus, if you buy a guitar from this site you can have it setup correctly and that's a big plus!

I have no endorsement or business arrangements with djangobooks, I just love the prices!
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    It's well known that endorsements by Gypsies are a total joke...most Gypsies get their free signature model and then immediately turn around and sell it. Then they find the next luthier who's willing to give them a free guitar and then do it all again.

Well, not only Gypsies do that. I got my custom MD 50E sunburst from George Gruhn. I've heard a French guitarist who used to play Nashville a lot, with a Dupont endorsement and a taste for funnily painted Selmer, did a lot of trading there... :D